FR: I'm happy that we're going to see you tomorrow

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by ShineLikeStars, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ShineLikeStars Senior Member

English - Canada
    Bonjour !

Context: one person from a group of friends writes to another friend the group will visit "I'm happy that we're going to see you tomorrow". Which mood is the appropriate one to use given that it is a FACT that the group will see their friend tomorrow (there is no doubt in this case). My understanding is that Je suis content que takes the subjunctive so I'm confused as to what mood is required here.

English: I'm happy that we're going to see you tomorrow!

French: Je suis content qu'on te voie (subj) demain ! Je suis content qu'on va te voir demain ! Je suis content qu'on te verra demain !

Merci beaucoup !
    SLS

2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi,

Je suis content qu'on te voie demain, definitely :tick:

"Je suis content de te voir demain"
    would be much more common, but that would mean I'm happy to see you tomorrow (no "we" implied).

3. Bâton-courageux Junior Member

North Africa
    French - Français
    Good afternoon,

"Cela me réjouirait de te revoir demain" , "Je serais ravi de te revoir demain"

revoir would be more apropriate if you are talking to someone whom you've already met (at least one time in your life)

EDIT: @shinelikestars i've made a mistake :in fact "me réjouit" instead of "me réjouirait" would be more appropriate for this sort of situation , the reply below is containing a good reason for that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Marie3933

Marie3933 Senior Member

España
    français
    Plus simplement : Je me réjouis de te voir/revoir demain ou Je me réjouis d'aller te voir demain.

Bâton-courageux : le conditionnel ne convient pas. La personne se fait effectivement une joie d'aller voir son ami le lendemain. Il ne s'agit pas d'un souhait.

5. Bâton-courageux Junior Member

North Africa
    French - Français
    @Marie3933 : au temps pour moi , je viens d'éditer mon message d'en haut , en mettant l'erreur en évidence pour qu'elle ne soit pas refaite par quelqu'un d'autre

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  6. ShineLikeStars Senior Member

English - Canada
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I think Je suis content de te voir demain would be common, but from a grammatical point of view I'm interested in what the proper mood is required if the WE is implied.

7. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    To translate the going to part, you could say:

Je suis content qu'on aille te voir demain.