FR: is French your favorite language?

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Rydan, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Rydan Junior Member

english
    Bonjour,
    I am trying to translate "is French your favorite language?" and I would like to know the most common construction.
    I am leaning towards"le français est votre langue préférée?" but I know one can use inversion and est-ce que.
    Can any one help simplify this for me. There seems to be so many choices.

Merci d'avance

2. gillyfr Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    English - England
    "Est-ce que" is very common everyday language in France, as is just raising the voice to turn an affirmation into a question, but much less common in Quebec, where people tend to use inversion or add "tu", as in Tu vas-tu... or Il va-tu... Obviously the latter could not be written, and even in France, written language would prefer the inversion.

3. no_cre0 Senior Member

American English
    if you're writing it, you should use either inversion or est-ce que. The way you have it written is very common in speaking but not very often seen in writing. I would go with either "Est-ce que le francais est votre langue preferee?" or "Le francais est-il votre langue preferee?"

4. Malcoha

Malcoha Senior Member

Gembloux
    Belgium (French)
    no CreO is perfectly right...

5. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Do people really say that in Quebec? :confused:
    How bizarre!

6. gillyfr Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    English - England
    You who are from between Lyon and Grenoble, have you never heard anyone say, "ça va-t'y?" (no idea how one would spell that!).

This is quite common although used somewhat ironically as well as affectionately these days (you wouldn't say it to your bank manager), and I am quite sure that the root is the same as the use of "tu" in Quebec - obviously a regional variation, the "t'y" being from the Dauphiné, and the "tu" being from Normandy.

Any Normans on the forum who could confirm?

7. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    "common" probably, but wrong, certainly !

8. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    There is a section about this in Le bon usage (§395) but I am not sure this discussion is helpful for the original poster anymore.

I also dug up this earlier thread (in response to Nicomon's message below): tsu

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  9. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    This is a bit off topic, but I agree with gilly about the Quebec usage of the second tu. It means t'y. I'm sure we've talked about it before on the forum, but I can't find the thread. You can google "double tu" + "québécois". ;)

Tu viens tu = Tu viens t'y = Est-ce que tu viens? = Viens-tu?
    Quebecers say « (tu) viens-tu? » rather than « tu viens? ». However, you will hear « comment tu vas »? Not « comment tu vas tu ».

That said, I would translate the sentence - without any inversion as « Est-ce que le français est ta langue préférée? ». In a (very familiar) way, we'd say « le français es tu ta langue préférée »... here « tu » replaces « t-il »;)

True, we make inversions e.g. « (t')aimes-tu le français/ venez-vous souper samedi / il vient tu » rather than « est-ce que tu aimes / est-ce que vous venez / est-ce qu'il vient? ». But in spoken language only. We don't write it, of course.

And we do it with second person singular or plural (tu/vous) especially. Otherwise, « est-ce que » is pretty common here as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008