FR: Je vous ai invité

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Ellie1, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Ellie1 Junior Member

Isle of Skye, Scotland
    British English
    "Je vous ai invité."

"Je veux vous inviter."

I am very unsure as to the positioning of the personal pronoun in sentences such as the above.

I would welcome any help or comments.

Thank you.
  2. fIvaNNa

fIvaNNa Senior Member

c'est bon!
    quand on a deux verbes successifs, on met le pronom entre les verbes:)
  3. itka Senior Member

Mind ! If "vous" refers to :

a man alone ---> invité
    a woman alone ---> invitée
    several men or men+women ---> invités
    several women ---> invitées
  4. Ellie1 Junior Member

Isle of Skye, Scotland
    British English
    Thanks for the replies, but I'm still a bit confused.

In my two examples, the first one has the pronoun followed by "avoir" and then "inviter", while the second one had the pronoun between the two verbs.

Is "Je vous ai invité" correct, or should it be "J'ai vous invité"?

Does the rule change when avoir and être are involved?
  5. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

The pronoun never comes between the auxiliary and the past participle in a composed tense like in "ai invité" or "avais invité"... (present perfect or pluperfect...)
  6. Ellie1 Junior Member

Isle of Skye, Scotland
    British English
    Thanks Fred C.

So you're saying that "Je VOUS ai invité" is correct?

What about "Je veux VOUS inviter" where inviter is the infinitive?

7. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Ellie1, both of your senteces are correct. :)

In all sentences except affirmative commands, the pronoun will precede the conjugated verb that it is related to. Past participles are not "conjugated" so when you have a compound tense that includes both an auxiliary and a past participle (passé composé, plus-que-parfait, conditionnel passé, etc) you will put the pronoun in front of the conjugated auxiliary. The conjugated verbs are marked in blue. Past participles are grey.

Je vous ai invité. - I invited you.
    Je vous inviterai. - I will invite you
    Je vous aurais invité, mais... - I would have invited you, but...

Sometimes, the verb that the pronoun is related to isn't conjugated. Instead, it appears as an infinitive. So in these cases, you just put the pronoun in front of the infinitive it is related to (in peach). The fact that there is some other conjugated verb (in blue) in the sentence doesn't affect the pronoun, because the pronoun isn't related to that verb.

Je veux vous inviter. - I want to invite you. (It's not that I want you, it's that I want to invite you. The pronoun is related to inviter, not to vouloir).
    Je vais vous inviter - I am going to invite you. (It's not 'going you' but rather 'invite you').
    Ne souhaite-t-il pas vous inviter ? - Doesn't he wish to invite you? (It's not 'wish you' but rather 'invite you')

Does that help? :)
  8. Ellie1 Junior Member

Isle of Skye, Scotland
    British English
    Hi Jann,

Thank you for your wonderfully clear explanation. It all makes sense now!