FR: la majeure partie de + accord singulier / pluriel

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by SuzanneBryant, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SuzanneBryant New Member

Liverpool
    English
    Bon soir

I hope someone can help me? I am trying to translate into French....

'the most part of adjectives follow the noun'

but I am stuck on which number agreement the verb 'to follow' should agree with. Is it....

La majeure partie d’adjectifs suis le nom ou pronom ('la majeure partie' being singular)

or

La majeure partie d’adjectifs suivent le nom ou pronom ('adjectifs' being plural)

Merci en avance pour la vrai réponse.

Suzanne.

2. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    Hello,

The rules applying to "la plupart" and "la majeure partie" are different: The former is generally used with a plural agreement, and the latter, with a singular agreement.

"La majeure partie des adjectifs suit le nom ou le pronom."

but

"La plupart des adjectifs suivent le nom ou le pronom."

3. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    After la plupart, the verb must agree with its complement in modern French (La plupart des adjectifs suivent). See also FR: la plupart + accord singulier / pluriel.

After la majeure partie, either agreement is fine (La majeure partie des adjectifs suit/suivent).

4. radagasty Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    Australia, Cantonese
    It ought to be pointed out, too, that the construction 'the most part of' has fallen into desuetude, so much so that many would consider it incorrect. Modern English would require: For the most part, adjectives follow the noun.

5. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    In Canada we do not say The most part of adjectives (In fact, I've never heard it). We say Most adjectives...

6. radagasty Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    Australia, Cantonese
    To be frank, I have never encountered this turn of phrase in contemporary English either.

7. SuzanneBryant New Member

Liverpool
    English
    to all, you are right excuse me that was a bad translation into English on my part.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Suzanne.