FR: le 14 juillet / on the 14th of July

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Aishie, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Aishie Senior Member

English
    Hi I was wondering if 'Le 14 Juillet 1789' had the same sense of meaning as 'on the 14th of july 1789' in English?
    Does the 'le' represent 'on'?

2. Wildcat1 Senior Member

Amer. English
    I would say, yes, your French phrase can mean the same as your English phrase, but no, the "le" doesn't specifically mean "on".

And note that you failed to capitalize "July" in English, while you incorrectly (I believe) capitalized "juillet" in French!

3. Aishie Senior Member

English
    Sorry, was in a rush, small typo :c
    so if that is the case, how would I convey the sense of 'on the fourteenth...'

4. Wildcat1 Senior Member

Amer. English
    As I said, your French phrase is how you'd translate the English. I just wanted to point out that it would be wrong to say that this "le" means "on". Rather you don't need to translate "on", but "le" is required in general. For ex., in
    "Le 14 juillet, c'est un jour qui ..."
    there would be no "on" in an English translation.

5. Mauricet Senior Member

near Grenoble
    French - France
    In such a sentence as Le 14 juillet 1789, le peuple prit la Bastille, "Le" conveys the meaning of "On the", while in Le 14 juillet 1789 fut retenu dans l'Histoire comme le jour du début de la Révolution, "Le" means "The", as usual.