FR: le temps qui/qu'il te reste

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by panettonea, Aug 16, 2013.

1. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    This phrase is supposed to mean "the time you have left," but I don't really understand it. What function does il serve in the phrase? Why wouldn't it just be le temps qui te reste? Thanks for any help.

2. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Hi,

this is not a stand alone sentence, could you please give us the complete sentence and some context?

3. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Both phrases are in fact possible:

le temps qu'il te reste → impersonal il as in Il te reste dix minutes or simply Il pleut.
    le temps qui te reste

See also the thread ce qui/qu'il se passe in the Français Seulement forum.

4. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Hi. Here is the complete sentence: Le temps qu'il te reste, trouve une solution. Is that much help? :) As far as context, there is none. It was a standalone sentence to illustrate the meaning of the verb rester.

5. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Thanks. OK, in this case "il reste" means "there remains," I guess? So, literally, the phrase means "the time that there remains to you"?
    OK, I'll check it out.

6. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Yes, exactly. :)

The two phrases are correct, but the sentence doesn't make much sense. It should read something like, Pendant le temps qu'il te reste…

7. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Merci.

It came from A Frequency Dictionary of French. Anyway, since I didn't write it myself, I won't feel too bad. ;)