FR: lots of influences

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Noobenstein, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Noobenstein Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if one would use "beaucoup des influences" or "beaucoup de influences."

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
  3. Queen Bert

Queen Bert Member

English - Britain
    Yes you can ;)

A quantity is always followed by " de ". So you will never have "beaucoup des". However, because "influences" begins with a vowel, the " de " becomes " d' ", so your phrase will be: " beaucoup d'influences "

More examples of quantities would be:

Plus de...
    Trop de...

Hope that clears things up :)
  4. Meyer Wolfsheim Senior Member

East Egg
    Is there a case where you can use the article after the phrase "beaucoup de"...I have never seen that before. When "beaucoup" is an adverb is the only case I would see that it could come up...

Il fait beaucoup d'achats.

Il fait des achats beaucoup.
  5. "Il fait des achats beaucoup" doesn't mean anything. In French, we say "Il fait beaucoup d'achats".
  6. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Absolutely. As it is explained in that thread I linked to, the reason we end up with beaucoup de + plural noun is because we begin with beaucoup de + [partitive or indefinite plural article] + [plural noun]. Then de + du/de la/des "contracts" to de.

So when can you use an article after beaucoup de? Quite simply, any time that it makes sense to use a definite article or (much rarer) a singular indefinite article:

beaucoup de + le/la/les X = beaucoup du/de la/des X
    beaucoup de + un/une X = beaucoup d'un/d'une X
    beaucoup de +
    du/de la/des X = beaucoup de X

e.g., Il a mangé beaucoup du gâteau que j'ai fait hier
    (beaucoup de + le gâteau)
    He ate a lot of the cake that I prepared yesterday.

e.g., Au restaurant, il a bu beaucoup d'un vin régional que je n'ai pas apprécié. (beaucoup de + un vin régional)
    At the restaurant, he drank a lot of a (some) regional wine that I didn't like.

Beaucoup is only ever an adverb; it has no other functionality... ;)