1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: more I could have ever hoped for

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by katherinecohn, Aug 16, 2011.

1. katherinecohn New Member

English
    In my example, I am worried that by using the incorrect tense I will imply to the recipient that I did not appreciate the work they put into their letter to me.

Specifically, I wrote to a colleague asking a few questions. She wrote back an incredibly in-depth email, telling me everything I could have ever hoped for and more! (In a positive way)

If I write:
    Merci beaucoup pour votre réponse, c'est même plus que j'aurai jamais souhaité!

Does this meaning correctly imply that I am delighted with the depth of her email? Or is there a chance it will seem to hide a passive aggressive note that her email was way too long?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi,

Jamais may sound ambiguous, and you used the verb souhaiter, which doesn't convey the idea of I could have hoped. It's pretty much like saying It's more I've ever hoped for, it may be ambiguous.

I'd say, Elle [= votre réponse] est encore plus compète que ce que je pouvais espérer! or plus complète que ce à quoi je m'attendais!