1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: (ne pas) penser que + mode

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by emilymonster, May 2, 2007.

1. emilymonster Junior Member

Leicestershire
    England
    If I said 'she thinks she is, for example, an apple', would I use the subjunctive e.g. Is it:

elle pense qu'elle soit une pomme
    or
    elle pense qu'elle est une pomme ?

As a question therefore, 'do you think you are an apple', would it be:

penses-tu que tu sois une pomme
    or
    penses-tu que tu es un pomme?

Moderator note: Multiple threads merged to create this one. See also the thread FR: (ne pas) croire que + mode.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. With penser in plain form you want the indicative. In the negative it's the subjunctive (which is common); in the interrogative I was taught it is the subjunctive as well, but this seems much less common and some francos have even suggested to me that it is wrong, so...hope this helps.

3. Rootsie Banned

England and English
    Hi

I don;t think you use the subjunctive. You only use it with penser if it is negative. For example: Elle ne pense pas qu'elle soit une pomme.

Hope that Helps :D

4. Markus

Markus Senior Member

Paris, France
    Canada - English
    I agree with guylearningfrench; I also learned in school to use the subjunctive in the interrogative, but I rarely hear it in actual use.

5. jetman

jetman Senior Member

Vermont
    English - USA
    I was taught that if the two clauses contain the same subject you must change the sentence using an infinitive.

Elle se croit être une pomme.

Does that make any sense?

6. Markus

Markus Senior Member

Paris, France
    Canada - English
    Elle croit être une pomme :tick: (pas de se)

However this is another rule that is often broken in spoken French, you will hear French natives saying sentences like je pense que je vais... or je pense que je suis... all the time.

My personal opinion is that it is more okay to break the rule when speaking in the first or second person than when speaking in the third, as there is no room for confusion. For example :

Je crois que je suis une pomme (subject 1 : me, subject 2 : me)
    Elle croit qu'elle est une pomme (subject 1 : she, subject 2 : she. But is it the same girl?)

7. I have heard that one too, but it seems to be as neglected as the subjunctive with penser in the interrogative, if not more.

---or what Markus beat me to above.

8. dnldnl Senior Member

Russian, Ukrainian
    So, in written French, would it be acceptable to use both the subjunctive and the indicative when the verb penser is the predicate in an interrogative sentece? Or is the subjunctive the only gramatically correct option?

9. agueda Senior Member

Korean
    Bonjour!
    I learned that after "que" one should use a subjunctive for the following verb...
    I'm wondering if the rule applies to the sentence below:
    "Je ne pense pas qu'elle était très proche à sa mère."

Should it be: "Je ne pense pas qu'elle soit très proche à sa mère."?

Merci!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    That's a really good question & I believe that it all depends on whether you have a doubt when you say, I don't think that...

-I hope that helps a little. :)

11. Shuch New Member

france
    "Je ne pense pas qu'elle était très proche de sa mère." is past tense: "i don't think she was that close to her mother (in the past)"
    "Je ne pense pas qu'elle soit très proche de sa mère." is present tense: "i don't think she is that close to her mother (at the moment)"

12. Crimp New Member

UK - English
    Agueda,

There are a couple of things here:

1. "que" after a verb doesn't always generate the subjunctive; for example, “j’espère que”, “je pense que” and “je crois que” never do (and there are loads of other verbs that behave like this).

2. In the example that you give, however, you must use the subjunctive because of the doubt that’s expressed: you’re talking about a hypothetical situation, one that you don’t believe has any basis in reality. Therefore, “soit” is the correct form.

The imperfect subjunctive (“fût”) would virtually never be used nowadays – even many educated French people hardly know how to form this mood of the verb. The context in which the sentence occurs would probably make it clear that you were referring to the past, but if it didn’t you could add something like “à cette époque-là (“at that time”).

If you have any other problems with the subjunctive, let me know.

13. agueda Senior Member

Korean
    Oh, so I should use "soit" in this case even if I'm talking about the past... and yes, I was actually considering using "fût" in that sentence, so you corrected me in advance :)
    Thanks very much for your explanations. I'll contact you when I have more questions on the subjunctives. Thanks again! :-D

agueda

14. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Obviously "soit" is not possible if the subordinate reference is to the past. There's nothing else in the sentence that can express this. I suspect some would say "était". But there is another possibility.

Je ne pense pas qu'elle ait été très proche à sa mère.

The past subjunctive may be used when it is necessary to show a past idea when the introductory verb is in the present.

Cheers!

Not true. If they are educated, they know how to form the "tense" of that mood.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Source: The Ultimate French Verb Practice & Review

The verbs penser & croire...when negative, are followed by a subordinate clause in the subjunctive. When affirmative...followed by the indicative.

" Je ne pense pas qu'il revienne. " (subjunctive)

:idea: -attention, please-

In formal language the indicative is also possible after the negative of penser & croire. This conveys that the speaker is really sure (he has no doubt) about the action of the subordinate clause.

" Je ne pense pas qu'il reviendra "

This is the point that I was referring to in my first post, and I am assuming that it applies to the past subjunctiv as well.

16. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    This is more likely to occur when the subordinate verb is referring to the future. It wouldn't be the case if the present tense were the issue. And as I said earlier, the imperfect will probably be said by persons wanting to avoid using the past subjunctive (ait été).

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  17. maybe4ever Senior Member

Rennes, France
    US english
    does je pense que, require the subjunctive?

as in

je pense que elle me aime.

je pense que vous me aimiez.

18. francais_espanol Senior Member

Canada, English
    the subjunctive is not required when using « penser que »

19. Benoît abroad

Benoît abroad Senior Member

East of Belgium
    Français, France
    Actually there's no subjonctive in your two examples:

"je pense qu'elle m'aime" --> présent de l'indicatif
    "je pense que vous m'aimiez" --> imparfait de l'indicatif

20. Nickel Senior Member

Canada, English
    Hello, I always have trouble knowing when to apply le subjonctif, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if this sentence makes sense:

"Pour moi, j'ai grandi dans la présence d'une télévision, alors je ne pense pas que la télévision soit un problème. Mais, j'espère que les parents surveillent ce que les enfants regardent."

thanks!

21. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Si tu commences avec une principale négative comme:
    la décision est facile: subjonctif.
    Il y a d'autres cas plus compliqués.:)
    Réjouissons-nous qu'il y en ait des simples.

22. papillon172 Junior Member

USA / English
    Bonjour!

Here's the sentence:
    " ...mais je pense qu'ils ne soient pas importants dans cette case."
    Should I use the subjunctive in this case or just the present tense?

Merci en avance:)

23. Benoît abroad

Benoît abroad Senior Member

East of Belgium
    Français, France
    Bonsoir,

"Je pense que" + indicatif: "Je pense qu'ils ne sont pas importants..."

24. arundhati Senior Member

France
    French - France
    You should use subjonctive if you use "je ne pense pas..." :
    "Mais je ne pense pas qu'ils soient important..."
    By the way if by "dans cette case" you want to say "in this case", you should say "dans ce cas".

25. dh123 Junior Member

English - Canada
    okay, so my french is a little rusty and i was wondering if after i say
    je pense que.. i would use subjonctif? or would it just be normal?

26. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    Je pense que => indicatif.

Je pense que tu devrais faire ça.

Je pense que tu n'aurais pas dû dire ça.

27. Matcauthon

Matcauthon Senior Member

English Canada
    Ok, so everyone agrees on the following sentences:

Elle pense qu'il veut manger le pomme :tick: (penser que + indicative)

Elle ne pense pas qu'il veuille manger le pomme. :tick: (ne pas penser que + subjunctive)

BUT! :)eek:)It seems to me that this thread has not decided which of the below sentences is right, formally (I think everyone also agrees that Francophones say both when speaking):

1) Pense-t-elle qu'il veut manger le pomme? :confused: (indicative?)

OR

2) Pense-t-elle qu'il veuille manger le pomme? :confused: (subjunctive?)

I was taught (in high school) that #2 was right. In university, one of my teachers corrected my test so that "Pensez-vous que" was followed by the indicative.

Does anyone know which one of the two examples is formally accepted?
    (provided I didn't mess up anything else)

28. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    You can use either mood in this case.

Pense-t-elle qu'il veut manger la pomme ? :tick:

Pense-t-elle qu'il veuille manger la pomme ? :tick:

29. temple09 Senior Member

English - British
    Hi,

I have been reviewing a list of French sentences which has been placed on the net in order to allow people to practise their construction of sentences. However, I have come across the following -

"je ne pense pas que ce pays soit dangereux. vous pouvez y aller sans crainte"

With the translation being -

"I don’t think that country is dangerous: you can go there without fear"

What is puzzling me is the use of the subjunctive, since I was lead to believe that "penser que" leads to the infinitive and not the subjunctive. Am I missing something, or have a spotted a mistake in the list?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  30. Lacuzon

Lacuzon Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Hi,

affirmative : penser que + indicative : je pense que ce pays est sûr.
    negative : ne pas penser que + subjonctive : je ne pense pas que ce pays soit sûr.
    interrogative : penser que + subjonctive : penses-tu que ce pays soit sûr ?

31. temple09 Senior Member

English - British
    ...actually, probably a daft question, but I assume that the combination of interrogative and neggative uses the subjunctive also?

pense-tu que ce pays ne soit pas sûr?

32. Lacuzon

Lacuzon Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Absolutely!

33. redcedar Senior Member

34. Shuch New Member

france

Not really true!
    Even very educated french people would NEVER use the subjunctive "fût" in that case, except if they want to give it a humoristic tone by being excessively litterary or formal...

"Je ne pense pas qu'elle était très proche DE sa mère." is "i don't think she was really close to her mother (at that moment in the past)"
    "Je ne pense pas qu'elle ait été très proche DE sa mère" is "i don't think she ever was really close to her mother"

35. agi83ml

agi83ml Senior Member

Edmonton, AB
    English/Français (Canada)
    'Je ne pense pas' sounds odd to me...wouldn't it be better to say "Je pense qu'elle n'était pas..."?

36. Maître Capello

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    We've discussed this many times before on the forums, but Geostan is right in that educated people do know how to form the imperfect subjunctive. Most educated people would indeed use that tense when writing. However, in speech, unless we want to be funny or sound posh, we definitely don't use it—we use either the present or past subjunctive instead.

Both phrases are correct and nearly identical in meaning, but with the former you're less sure than with the latter:

Je ne pense pas qu'elle soit chez elle → I don't think she's at home.
    Je pense qu'elle n'est pas chez elle → I think she's not at home.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  37. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Bonjour,

Avec les verbes "penser, croire etc." dans les questions, est-ce que le subjonctif s'emploie avec "inversion" ainsi que la structure "est-ce que" ?

Ex. "Pensez-vous qu'il vienne ?"
    "Est-ce que vous pensez qu'il vienne ?"

Je crois avoir appris que dans ces cas, le subjonctif ne s'utilise que dans l'interrogation avec inversion et non pas "est-ce que"... est-ce que c'est vrai ?

Merci !

38. lamy08 Senior Member

Pensez-vous qu'il vienne/qu'il viendra?
    Est-ce que vous pensez qu'il viendra?

On peut essayer avec un autre verbe:
    Pensez-vous qu'il fasse froid?
    Est-ce que vous pensez qu'il fait froid?

Présent ou futur, cela dépend du contexte.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  39. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Merci pour la confirmation !

Est-ce qu'on peut donc dire que c'est une faute de dire "Est-ce que vous pensez qu'il vienne" ? Le subjonctif n'est pas employé ici à cause de la forme/structure "est-ce que", n'est-ce pas ? (tandis qu'avec inversion, c'est bien possible)

40. lamy08 Senior Member

Oui, c'est une faute.
    Est-ce que vous pensez/croyez qu'il viendra/va venir ? (futur +/- proche)
    Est-ce que vous pensez qu'il vient seul ou avec sa petite amie?

Mais d'autres verbes peuvent se mettre au subjonctif après "est-ce que". Je pense à souhaiter:

Est-ce que vous souhaitez qu'il vienne ?

41. flyingcabbage Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Je suis désolée d'ouvrir de nouveau ce fil, mais je veux demander un autre question sur l'interrogatif.

Mon prof nous a dit qu'il faut utiliser le subjontif et nous avons donné cet exemple:
    Pensez-vous qu'il soit possible qu'une femme devienne Présidente de la République?

Mais je viens de faire quelques exercices en ligne qui m'indiquent que j'ai tort de l'utiliser dans cet exemple:
    Est-ce que tu crois que tes parents veuillent acheter la nouvelle voiture? et le site Web l'a corrigée avec "...que tes parents voudront acheter...".

Vous avez indiqué (^) que les deux sont acceptables, mais est-ce un est plus formel ou plus "correcte" grammatiquement?

Merci à l'avance.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  42. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Many students of French are taught the following rule (which is doubtless more black-and-white in the classroom than in real life): penser que, croire que, and espérer que are followed by the subjunctive in une phrase négative or in une question affirmative avec inversion. But they are followed by the indicative in all other structures.

Est-ce que questions are neither negative declarations nor affirmative questions with inversion... so they stay in the indicative. This is surely the rule that was being applied in the answer key for the interactive website. :)

43. flyingcabbage Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    English - Ireland
    Ah, I see. I didn't have an example with "est-ce que" in my notes, I just assumed all questions were the same. So you would say "Est-ce que tu penses qu'il le fera?" but "Penses-tu qu'il le fasse"? Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  44. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    Salut!

Avec "est-ce que", on est obligé d'employer l'indicatif. Par contre, avec l'inversion, les deux modes sont convenables, malgré une petite nuance rajoutée avec l'emploi du subjonctif. Mais le problème, s'il y en a un, est que la distinction entre indicatif et subjonctif ne se fait vraiment pas dans l'exemple présenté ici, surtout pas dans la langue de tous les jours (la majorité des gens, je dirais). Mais dans la littérature et par ceux et celles bien instruits (lol), il y en a une qui peut se faire (pas toujours hyper nette): l'inversion avec le subjonctif semble signifier que le demandeur de la question imagine mal une réponse affirmative. Considérons donc l'exemple de "penses-tu qu'il vienne?" où le demandeur aurait de gros doutes sur la venue de qui que ce soit, et du coup, s'étonnerait à ce que la personne adressée réponde par "oui" et non par "non". L'indicatif, justement, ne donnerait pas cette nuance car il ne fait que rendre la question bien neutre (sans aucune nuance affective).

Bien souvent dans les cas dits "facultatifs" du subjonctif, faire le choix ne se vit pas sans réflexion (si on veut s'éloigner de ce qui vient spontanément à l'esprit) car les nuances apportées ne sont pas claires comme de l'eau du rocher (comme c'est plus le cas en espagnol, si je ne me trompe). Et franchement, c'est depuis toujours être censé comme cela: c'est à vous de décrypter!

45. Maître Capello

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    :thumbsdown: Non, pas du tout! Pourquoi y aurait-il une différence entre la question posée avec est-ce que ou avec l'inversion? :confused:

Est-ce que tu penses vraiment qu'il est incapable d'être patient? :tick: / Est-ce que tu penses vraiment qu'il soit incapable d'être patient? :tick:
    Penses-tu vraiment qu'il est incapable d'être patient? :tick: / Penses-tu vraiment qu'il soit incapable d'être patient? :tick:

46. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    Tout cet effort pour avoir cela comme réponse, mon cher Maitre Capello MDR!

C'est ce qu'on peut lire dans certain livres de grammaire (celui que j'ai d'ailleurs). Mon livre dit en gros: on évite d'employer le subjonctif après "est-ce que" car le doute (et d'autres émotions impliquées) semble être moins ressenti que dans le cas avec inversion.

Dans la langue de tous les jours, on entend les deux, mais je parlais plus en termes littéraires, je suppose.

47. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Au contraire, on entend rarement le subjonctif dans la langue de tous les jours avec penser à l'interrogatif. La règle vaut surtout pour la langue soutenue / littéraire, qui préfère l'inversion Penses-tu au tour Est-ce que tu penses (et qui proscrit l'interrogation sans marque syntaxique Tu penses… ?)
    Je suis d'accord qu'on peut avoir des préférences différentes selon la forme de la question, mais c'est certainement lié au niveau de langue (registre plus soutenu → plus de subjonctif). Je ne suis pas du tout d'accord avec l'explication basée sur le « doute ressenti ».

48. Maître Capello

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Une conclusion s'impose: change de livre de grammaire… :D

49. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    Vous ne compreniez pas ce que je disais (désolé, j'aurais dû me rendre plus clair): on entend les deux modes avec « est-ce que tu penses que...» (justement, j'ai tendance à entendre plus l'indicatif).

Oui, je suis aussi d'accord sur ce point-ci: registre plus soutenu > plus le subjonctif; mais pour ce qui est du "doute ressenti", c'est l'avis d'un auteur d'un livre de grammaire, pas forcément le mien!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  50. Chambery90 Senior Member

English
    Bonsoir,

Si je veux écrire I don't think I would be happy est-ce qu'il me faudra un subjonctif même si c'est au conditionnel?

Je ne pense pas que je serais contente ou je ne pense pas que je sois contente.

​Merci d'avance :).