1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: nous avons chaud(s)

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Pretty Pony, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pretty Pony New Member

USA
    English, American
    Which is correct:
    Nous avons chaud. Allons à la plage!
    Nous avons chauds. Allons à la plage!

Thank you.

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. yannalan Senior Member

france, french, breton
    The first one is good.

3. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Note that in your example, chaud is not an adjective; it is an adverb. It is therefore invariable.

4. Pretty Pony New Member

USA
    English, American
    Thank you! Therefore, I can assume that all adverbial phrases using avoir are invariable and don't show agreement.

5. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Wouldn't you rather say it is a noum? From an English perspective (uh-oh) "have heat" makes more sense than "have hotly".

6. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    You may say it is a noun just like in avoir faim/soif but you can as well consider it an adverb as in manger/servir/faire chaud. (You don't "have/eat/serve heat," and "make heat" would be different as it would mean faire/produire de la chaleur, not avoir chaud.)

By the way, the noun chaud does not translate as "heat" (= chaleur) but rather as "warmth" or "mild/high temperature."

7. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    What's to prevent it from having as many possible usages as possible? I took my cue from a French dictionary anyway. Heat, warmth, whatever the differences are, it was for illustration purposes.

8. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
  9. france88 New Member

English
    Hi there

I have to explain to someone why the noun chaud/froid (e.g. 'elle a chaud', elle a soif etc) does not agree with the subject pronoun. I was wondering why this is the case? is it because it is a noun that it does not agree with the subject?

Merci beaucoup!

10. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Hi and welcome, france88

avoir means have, so there is no reason why chaud, which is a direct object and not an adjective, should agree. :)

ils ont froid, peur, chaud, faim, soif, raison, tort, etc.

11. Gotsch Junior Member

France
    French
    Consider it as if you were saying "She's got a phone" = "Elle a un téléphone"
    Phone is used with "have", which means it's not the verb "to phone" but the noun "a phone".
    Elle a chaud is not considered as a physical state, but as something she's got. Remember "chaud" is not an adjective since it's used with the verb avoir ;)

12. Wildcat1 Senior Member

Amer. English
    Correct, but in matters of language use this sort of logic goes only so far. After all, we say "Elle a très chaud" (like "Elle est très belle"), not "Elle a beaucoup de chaud" (like "Elle a beaucoup d'argent").

13. france88 New Member

English
    Hey there

But if it was a noun, cant nouns agree with their subject? (elle est une fille- fille is feminine). I am a little confused with the outpour of responses, is 'chaud' a noun or adverb?

Merci Beaucoup

14. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    They can, sometimes, when the verb is être (or devenir, or something like that), but not with avoir, as OLN explained above in #10. You don't expect there to be agreement in Elle a un fils, right?