FR: proposer que + mode

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by fluffkin, May 22, 2008.

1. fluffkin

fluffkin Senior Member

England, English
    In the following sentence, am I right to use the subjunctive in the second clause as it still relates to 'propose que'?

'Je propose que le sens ne soit pas que les hommes sont le ‘seuls recours’, mais que les gens aient besoin d’un mélange... '

Thank you :)

Moderator note: Multiple threads have been merged to create this one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  2. zon34 Senior Member

Your sentence sounds good to me. I would wait for a second point of view though.
  3. c10pa Member

New York
    English -- American
    I may be wrong, but I'd think you might use the indicative, because you already used the subjunctive with "propose que le sens ne soit pas". Since you then use the indicative with "les hommes sont...", I would also use it with "les gens ont" because they seem to be parallel parts of the sentence. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd wait for another point of view as well.
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    You must use the subjunctive for both sentences since they are linked by a “coordinator” word (et, mais, ou, etc.). In other words both sentences play the same grammatical role and hence must use the same mood.
  5. beauty.and.the.beast Member

I'm trying to say:
    I suggest you go to 'le Refuge de Fondue.'

Je propose que vous allez au Refuge de Fondue.

Since it's je propose que do i use alliez?

Merci d'avance
  6. itka Senior Member

Absolument ! Proposer que est suivi du subjonctif.