FR: que X, (que) Y et (que) Z - répétition de la conjonction

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Music22, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Music22 Senior Member

English
    "pourvu que nous prenions également soin des enfants, cuisinions un délicieux dîner et ayons l’air bon. "... should I repeat the word "que nous" in front of each part of the sentence? e.g. ""pourvu que nous prenions également soin des enfants, que nous cuisinions un délicieux dîner et que nous ayons l’air bon"

2. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Français
    Not only do you not have to repeat que nous, but it's way more elegant that way. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    I agree: the repetition of the conjunction is not compulsory. Even more so, in a poetical context, the omission of the subsequent que's gives a nice rhythm to the sentence. That being said, in most contexts it is probably better to repeat the que.

4. Music22 Senior Member

English
    So It might be better to have ""pourvu que nous prenions également soin des enfants, que nous cuisinions un délicieux dîner et que nous ayons l’air bon. "."

5. lilison Senior Member

English - Canadian
    Your advisers encouraged you to leave it as is. (without the repetition)

6. Music22 Senior Member

English
    I thought that Maître Capello said that "in most contexts it is probably better to repeat the que"... therefore I am wondering which advise is the right advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  7. pointvirgule

Mtl, QC
    Français
    Yes... Capello was sending mixed signals there. But I assure you that omitting the repetition works very well in your particular context. It makes the sentence lighter and more fluid.

8. Maître Capello

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    As usual, we're missing the whole sentence and the context… :rolleyes: It is therefore quite difficult to say whether it would be better to repeat que or not.

Anyway, as I said above and contrary to what PV suggests, I think it is safer to repeat que. As a matter of fact, it is always possible to make the repetition—although perhaps not the better choice in specific contexts such as poetry—while omitting the other que may be inappropriate.

9. pointvirgule

Mtl, QC
    Français
    The excerpt that the OP provided is this:
    pourvu que nous prenions également soin des enfants, cuisinions un délicieux dîner et ayons l’air bon.

Of course, this is not a complete sentence, but why on Earth should we need more context to tell whether que nous should be repeated or not? :rolleyes: As long as the three verbs have the same subject and the right mood/tense, it's all good.

The questions are:
    1. Is this structure grammatically sound? Yes, it is.
    2. Is the style correct and idiomatic? Yes, it is.

Again, it is this forero's humble opinion that Music22's example would not be better written with a cacophony of repeated que que que.

10. Maître Capello

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Repeating que or not is a matter of style. And all styles are not necessarily appropriate in all contexts. :)

11. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    It should be pointed out that the issue here is not the repetition of the conjunction que — which is obligatory when several complete sentences are coordinated —, but the repetition of the pronoun nous, which is optional. However, if you choose to repeat nous, you must also repeat que (because the three parts of the coordination become complete sentences). Personally, in this example, I would repeat que nous because "et ayons" sounds odd to me. But one person's odd is another person's elegant.

For similar examples, see the following threads:
    que vous X et (que vous) Y

Il va de soi qu'elle X, mais (qu'elle) Y - répétition du sujet et de la conjonction dans une subordonnée

bien que X et (que) Y