FR: qu'il y paraisse autrement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by wster, Feb 27, 2013.

1. wster Senior Member

Somewhere in Grevisse
    American and Canadian English
    Maître, si tu as un ennemi, dis-le, et je t'en débarrasserai sans qu'il y paraisse autrement (Musset, Lorenzaccio, 1834, iii, 1, p.167).

I don't understand what sans que means here.

Master, if you have an enemy, say it, and I will clear you of him without it appearing otherwise.

But I don't think that translation is right, nor would I even really understand the English.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yendred Senior Member

Paris
    Français - France
    je t'en débarrasserai sans qu'il y paraisse autrement = je t'en débarrasserai sans que cela se remarque
    (I will clear you of him unnoticeably)

3. wster Senior Member

Somewhere in Grevisse
    A more colloquial English translation would help. I just don't get the sense. That's a slightly strange idea. One would never say that in English. Why? Because it it doesn't make it clear who is not going to notice. The person with the enemy? He will notice since the enemy will be gone. Or third parties?

How about this?

...I will clear you of him without anybody knowing about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I'll get rid of him (your enemy) for you, without anybody knowing about it otherwise ?
    Edit: Get rid of may be too strong - I'd need more context to be sure. But I think it's the general idea. Get him out of your way might be another possibility.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. wster Senior Member

Somewhere in Grevisse
    I'm sorry. I have the same problem with that English translation. I don't really understand the "otherwise". Other than what? Do you have another translation? Anybody?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. L'Inconnu Senior Member

US
    English
    Try to substitute the word 'different' for 'autrement' instead of 'otherwise'.

I get the impression that it's a clandestine operation. I'll get rid of him quietly, so that you will hardly notice his absence. Yet, the speaker really means to say the opposite. It's an ironic way of stressing just how important is to get rid of this guy. Imagine how easy and carefree your life would be if your enemy wasn't there to cause you any problems.