1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: rouge / (de) couleur rouge

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by zapspan, Nov 16, 2013.

1. zapspan Senior Member

English, USA (Southern California)
    I have always just used color adjectives by themselves, but I am wondering when/if one can use them with the word "couleur". For example, can one say the 2nd and 3rd variants of the first sentence below?

Il porte une chemise rouge.
    Il porte une chemise couleur rouge.
    Il porte une chemise de couleur rouge.

And would the answer change if the color involved were also a noun, such as "or"?

Lastly, if the color were an adjective with a distinct feminine form, such as "vert", would it agree with "couleur" instead of the noun whose color is being discussed.

Merci d'avance.

2. mattman0un3t Junior Member

Nancy
    Français
    Hello,

For the three sentences you gave, you're right.

And if you use the "or" color, it is the same rule and not difficult to know how to write the word.
    If you use the "vert" color instead of "rouge", it will always agree with the word "couleur".
    However, if you don't use the word "couleur", some adjectives remain invariable.

Example :
    Il porte une chemise verte.
    Il porte une chemise couleur verte.
    Il porte une chemise de couleur verte.
    Il porte une chemise vert clair /!\

3. Lly4n4 Senior Member

Paris (ex-Grand Ouest)
    Français (France)
    In my opinion,
    Il porte une chemise rouge/corail/anis. :tick:
    Il porte une chemise couleur rouge. :cross: But: Il porte une chemise couleur corail / couleur anis (=non-generic color). :tick:
    Il porte une chemise de couleur rouge/corail/anis. :tick:

Et je n'arrive pas à savoir pourquoi.

4. zapspan Senior Member

So if I used a masculine noun such as "pantalon", I would say "Il porte un pantalon de couleur verte" and "Il porte un pantalon couleur verte"?

Merci, mattman0un3t et Lly4n4.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. mattman0un3t Junior Member

Nancy
    Français
    Yes, but as Lly4n4 said before, when you use a generic color like here "verte" or "rouge", you don't have to add the word "couleur" because every people know you are talking about a color.
    I would say
    "Il porte un pantalon de couleur verte" and "Il porte un pantalon vert" (here the word agrees with "pantalon" if we remove "couleur"

6. zapspan Senior Member

Merci, mattman0un3t. That makes sense.