FR: s'enfuir - conjugaison

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by jamesjaime, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jamesjaime Senior Member

Northern England
    English - England
    I noticed recently that the verb s'enfuir is conjugated thus in the present tense:

Je m'enfuis
    tu t'enfuis
    il s'enfuit
    nous nous enfuyons
    vous vous enfuyez
    ils s'enfuient

.... but I don't understand, aren't -IR ending verbs supposed to have the "-ss-" in the middle? E.g. finir ---> Ils finissent (not ils finient)

Is s'enfuir just irregular? I've looked in the dictionary but it doesn't say it is....

Merci d'avance
  2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

Yes, s'enfuir is irregular indeed :) I've found that test on the web, maybe it'll help.
  3. jamesjaime Senior Member

Northern England
    English - England
    Thank you :)
  4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    "Regular" -IR verbs, sometimes referred to as "group 2" verbs, are the ones conjugated on the finir model with the infixe (-iss-) added to the stem (fin-) before the plural endings.

But there are several other groups of -IR verbs (those conjugated like tenir, those conjugated like partir, etc.) You can think of these as minor conjugation models. And then there are some that are just plain irregular. Fuir and enfuir fall into this last category.

You might find the conjugator on our site quite helpful for grouping verbs. Here's the page for the main "regular" -IR conjugation with finir. Down the column on the left side you'll find a list of models for other minor -IR conjugations. And if you look up a verb, such as enfuir, its model is listed at the top, above the conjugation table. So in this case, you'll see the words, "It is conjugated like: fuir".

5. jamesjaime Senior Member

Northern England
    English - England
    thanks, I really appreciate it :)