FR: Souligner avec le complément d'objet direct

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Killer Queen, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Killer Queen New Member

USA, English
    Je voudrais savoir si le grammaire de cette phrase est correcte :

Elle est paresseuse et elle ne fait rien, même-si le travail la bénéficiera-t-elle.

EN: She is lazy and doesn't do anything, even if the work will benefit her.

J'ai toujours des problèmes sur l'usage de "-t-elle" et "-t-il". ...

Merci d'avance!
    Killer Queen
  2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    To start "elle ne fait rien". "Elle ne fait pas rien" means "she doesn't do nothing" - the opposite:).

As to the main part of your question you don't need "t-ell" or "t-il" at all. You just use those to make a present tense question:

Elle chante. Chante-t-elle ? She sings. Does she sing?
    Il travaille. Travaille-t-il ? He works. Does he work?

In your sentence you need "even if the work would be beneficial to her", which is "lui" -

Même si le travail lui ferait du bien.
  3. Killer Queen New Member

USA, English
    Fixed in the OP.

The reason I asked about -t-elle and -t-il is because I have seen it outside of a question, especially in emphasis, and I am unsure if my usage is correct.

I can't post the link to the article, but if you search Inversion - Uses of French Inversion on french(dot)about(dot)c0m, there's a whole slew of usage, not just interrogation.

That would work for my purposes if my main verb was faire, but I specifically want to use bénéficier as the conjugated verb.
  4. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    It is here - you're right, inversion can be used outside of questions - I was simplifying the situation slightly. For example some words are followed by it such as "aussi" when it means "therefore" rather than "also" as in "aussi, l'auteur nous explique-t-il ..." however I can't see how investion would be used in your phrase. Perhaps the easiest thing would be for you to copy and paste another sentence which deals with what you mean - that would direct the discussion.
    I'm not sure this verb would be as idiomatic here, but the concept remains the same. It is "bénéficier à" so it would still be "lui", so "même si le travail lui bénéficierait", if you want to specifically use that verb.
  5. Killer Queen New Member

USA, English
    Ah, ok. See, I've taken several years of Spanish and if one wants to emphasize the object of a sentence, they could use both the direct object pronoun and the person's name/pronoun/etc., [...] the repetition emphasizing to whom I am speaking with no mistake. It's not all too common, but I wondered if the same principle of emphasis applied in French to this situation.

I guess not. :) I'll have to ask my professor to explain a little further about inversion - for some reason, the textbooks haven't decided to cover it yet. ... Then again, uses that seem to be quite nit-picky and obviously not taught in the 200 level classes, even though the textbook itself implements inversion outside of questions fairly often.

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure if the object was direct or indirect.

And thanks again for all the help. French is my major (focusing on translation when I head to graduate school), and as such I need to focus on mastering the little things as much as I can.