FR: the warmest/coldest month of the year

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Jennee0629, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jennee0629 New Member

Western Pennsylvania, USA
    English - United States
    Salut

My students are working on the superlative in class. I would like to double check the best way to say "July is the warmest month of the year." And on the other hand, "February is the coldest month of the year."

Here is my translation:
    "Juillet est le mois le plus chaud de l'année."
    "Février est le mois le plus froid de l'année."

Since chaud/froid usually are not expressed with être, I wanted to see how best to say this.

If you must use faire, I thought maybe,
    "En juillet, il fait le plus chaud de l'année."
    "En février, il fait le plus froid de l'année."

merci

2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi,

It's understandable, but it sounds quite poor! I were to make a correct sentence, I'd say En juillet, c'est la période où il fait le plus chaud dans toute l'année. But if I were to talk very fast, I'd probably say En juillet, c'est là où il fait le plus (dans l'année).

You can't use de l'année if don't say the [whatever] month of the year.

3. Chimel Senior Member

Belgium
    Français
    I don't quite see your point. OK, you don't say (about the weather) il est chaud but il fait chaud. But here, your sentence is "July is...", so it's just like in English and your first translation is perfect.

If you absolutely want to use the construction with il fait (but why?), then I would say: C'est en juillet qu'il fait le plus chaud [without "de l'année", as Oddmania rightly points out].

4. Jennee0629 New Member

English - United States
    I am getting two very different responses here... If I could get a third opinion that'd be great.

To reply to Chimel... I am not insisting on using "il fait" at all, just giving a couple possible translations that made sense to me.

5. Chimel Senior Member

Belgium
    Français
    I don't think our two answers are so different: Oddmania's comment ("quite poor") probably refers to your second translation. So we both agree that the first one, with "le mois", is all right and for the alternative, we suggest a slightly different possibility, both saying that in this case you shouldn't use "de l'année" if you don't say "le mois".

But anyway, this second possibility is a bit "for the sake of exercise", I think: the first translation is really the one I would spontaneously use.

6. Jennee0629 New Member

English - United States
    Wonderful. Merci bien.

7. janpol

janpol Senior Member

France
    France - français
    "Juillet est le mois le plus chaud de l'année."
    "Février est le mois le plus froid de l'année."
    Ce sont les phrases que l'on trouve dans un cours de géographie