1. georgiaissocoollike Junior Member

English
    Bonjour à tous!
    I'm seeking assistance on a matter of grammar. I wish to say: "The importance of an academic education is, therefore, dependant upon..."
    So far I'm at: "L'importance d'une éducation académique est, ainsi, soumis à..."
    In terms of grammar is it incorrect to use ainsi with the two commas in this sense? I fear I may have attempted to translate that too literally. Or perhaps "en/par conséquent" would be more suitable given the context? I'm not quite sure. Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Hi,

could you please give us the complete sentence in English? I can not imagine on what the importance of an academic education can depend... Well, none of my business, but for translation it helps to be sure we understand.

3. georgiaissocoollike Junior Member

English
    Thanks for your response. The complete sentence: "The importance of an academic education is, therefore, dependant upon the area in which one seeks to suceed."

4. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Thanks! I understand better now. "ainsi", between commas, will do the trick.

5. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Les virgules sont à mon avis inutiles. La phrase est parfaitement claire et plus fluide sans ces pauses.

L'importance... est ainsi soumise au... (l'importance , féminin singulier)

Note de vocabulaire :
    Comme Michelvar, je ne suis pas sûre que "l'importance est soumise" soit le meilleur choix de mots en français.
    -> elle
    dépend ainsi du domaine dans lequel on souhaite...

Le sens est probablement "Selon le domaine..., l'instruction universitaire que l'on a reçue aura plus ou moins d'importance", mais c'est une autre question. :)

6. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Je pense comme OLN que les virgules sont inutiles et que dépend conviendrait mieux que est soumise.

Par contre (mais il se peut que je me trompe) je serais plus portée à dire : « donc ».
    Je dirais « ainsi » si c'était "thus/thereby" en anglais.

Et attention au calque : éducation académique est un anglicisme si tu veux dire études universitaires / scolarité.

7. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I'm with Nicomon. "Donc" is, to my ear, the best translation here, because you're drawing the conclusion of an argument (rather than opening up a new direction of argumentation). In French I would use no commas either.

In terms of calques: "academic education" doesn't make too much sense to me in English either. Are there non-academic educations? Figuratively, perhaps, but in this context don't you want to be precise and literal?

8. georgiaissocoollike Junior Member

English
    […]

Thank you to everyone for your contributions, they were very interesting to read. It did occur to me to use "donc", but as only quite a novice to the language I wasn't sure that it would sound right to the French ear - I will be sure to mentally note this for future reference! :) In any case I think I shall tweak my sentence to make use of "dépendre" - thanks OLN!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013