FR: to say that although it's dangerous, it's a big industry

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Akempification, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Akempification New Member

English
    I am trying to say "their policies say that although nuclear energy is dangerous, it is a big industry in france." So far i have "Leurs politiques disent que bien que l'energie nucleaire soit dangereuse, elle est une grande industrie en France."

Is that correct, can I use the double subjunctive?
    (sorry, can't input accents)

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Welcome, Akempification.

What is double about that subjunctive? You only have one verb in the subjunctive in that sentence, the soit after bien que, which is correct. :)

As for accents, please see here. ;)

3. Akempification New Member

English
    The "disent que bien que" part was the troublesome part.

4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    That part is fine. Dire quedoesn't affect the subjunctive that needs to follow bien que.

5. Koalazang Senior Member

French
    Just a comma missing (which is missing as well in English maybe):
    "Leurs politiques disent que, bien que l'énergie nucléaire soit dangereuse, elle est une grande industrie en France."
    Another slight problem would be that the subject is between commas.

Voici pour toi ma façon de l'exprimer :

« Leurs politiques précisent que le nucléaire, malgré sa dangerosité, est un pilier de l'industrie française. »
    But I'm a bit worried about the meaning of policy here, it sounds to involve people more than a law text. So I would try another attempt:
    « Ils ont pour politique de dire que le nucléaire, malgré sa dangerosité, est un pilier de l'industrie française. »

Hope it helps