1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: to the same street

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Pierre_zane, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Pierre_zane Junior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Hi again.

The context is: someone is asking for the way. After describing the way, the inquiree says, you can follow me. I am going to the same street - Vous pouvez me suivre. Je vais dans la même rue.

But it seems to me that "à la même rue" sounds more natural as the street is taken as a destination here. It's not like "I am walking in the street."

Pouvez vous m'indiquer? Merci d'avance.

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    This is why you are confused. :)

A street is a long thing. Geometrically, it's a line and not a point. So it is not usually a destination in and of itself (although the intersection of two streets could be a destination). The person's destination is probably a particular address on/in that street (notice that we say "on" or "in" in English, and not "at"). It's also possible that the person will simply pass down that street on the way to his final destination.

If the person were in fact going to the same building, he might reply Vous pouvez me suivre ; je vais à la même adresse. But when he says Je vais dans la même rue, he just means that he will be in the street in question on his way to his destination.

3. Pierre_zane Junior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Very logical language indeed! Thanks again jann.

4. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland