FR: We queued for hours, even though it was raining

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Petzie, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Petzie New Member

English - British
    Hi, I'm wondering about the phrase "We queued for hours, even though it was raining, but the show was fantastic and I'd definitely go again."

I am wondering whether or not "Nous avons fait la queue pendant des heures bien qu'il pleuvait" would make sense, or "Nous avons faire la queue pendant des heures bien qu'il pleuvait"? I'm having some trouble with the conjugation of this. Is bien que also the wrong thing to use for this situation?

I'm not intending to ask for proofreading or general correction. I'm just wondering about the use of faire and fait and the general structure of the sentence.

Thanks in advance.
    I would be greatful if anyone could please reply ASAP as I don't know what replies my last thread received because it was deleted (not locked, apparently) as I read the wrong set of rules. I've already spoken to my teacher about this but I feel it would be better to get the insight of others also.

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Hello Petzie,

We queued for hours
    Nous avons fait la queue pendant des heures :tick:
    Nous avons faire la queue...
    :cross:

When you say "we queued" in French, you are using faire in the passé composé. It is formed from the present tense conjugation of avoir (= nous avons) + the past participle of faire (= fait). Therefore you must write nous avons fait la queue.... and nous avons faire :cross: is meaningless. :)

As for bien que, this is a conjunction that must be followed by the subjunctive. Since your sentence is in the past, this will become awkward. I suggest avoiding it entirely by rewording with the structure malgré + [noun] which will mean "in spite of the rain." Can you give it a try? :)

3. Petzie New Member

English - British
    Okay, thank you very much for your response :] I'll try malgré la pluie.
    Just checking because I haven't heard the phrase before, but this would be formal enough to say in an exam, yes?

4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Definitely! :)

5. Petzie New Member

English - British
    Okay, thanks very much :]