FR: You'll want to do something

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Kyborash, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Kyborash New Member

Grenoble - France
    Français - France
    Hi there,

For my first post, I hope I'll do the things well! :)
    Here is the context: I'm part of a translation team, for a phone game. I translate from English to French.
    There is an expression in particular, that often appears in update news, and that I'm unable to translate correctly.

Here are some examples of this expression:
    • You'll want to make sure to get shoveling right away!
    • So get those Airships running, because you're going to want to take the battle to their door!
    • After digging up all that Treasure, you're going to want to make sure to take note of the changes to Trade Post Taxes.

In the beginning, I've translated literally by "Vous voudrez vous assurer" but in fact, it sounds weird in French.

So, my question : can I translate by an imperative form? Then, "you'll want to make sure to" turns into "Assurez-vous de".
    But is it correct? If it's not, which translation do you suggest?

Thanks a lot for your help!
  2. g_sam Member

Toulouse - France
    Français - France

The imperative form is correct. However, you can also translate literally. I would just add "bien" after "voudrez" like that : "vous voudrez bien vous assurer de".

3. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Welcome, Kyborash. :)
    Note than usage in the 2nd sentence is different.

Sentences 1 and 3 use "you'll (you're going to) want to make sure to." They give advice (pensez à, assurez-vous de, etc.)

But sentence 2 uses "you're going to want to." As I understand it, it is merely a prediction: vous allez avoir envie de...
  4. Kyborash New Member

Grenoble - France
    Français - France
    Thank you for your answers!

jann: it's true, I didn't remember the way I translated the second sentence, and I was quickly looking for some examples, but this one is a bad choice! :p By reading it again, I can see it's not exactly the same meaning, thank you for having pointed it out to me :)

I got another example just now!
    You're going to want to focus in on it and start laying down the hurt before it gets too patched up!
    In this case, is it correct if I translate by "Vous devriez vous concentrer sur" ? I kept in mind jann's comment about giving advice.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  5. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

I'd say something like il va falloir que.....
    As I see it, that's the informal use of want, meaning have to / need to.