1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Kin-kin New Member

Puerto Rico/ Spanish
    I need the translation for this word from spanish to english. It's on a short story from Clemente Palma (peruvian).

The context is:

"Pasábamos una o dos noches con él en alegre francachela"

Thanks!

2. Cleotis

Cleotis Senior Member

Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands
    Spanish (Castellano)
    francachela.

1. f. coloq. Reunión de varias personas para regalarse y divertirse comiendo y bebiendo, en general sin tasa y descomedidamente.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

3. Bilma Senior Member

USA
    Spanish Mexico
    Maybe the translation is partying

francachela.

1. f. coloq. Reunión de varias personas para regalarse y divertirse comiendo y bebiendo, en general sin tasa y descomedidamente.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

4. Shindig
    Party

Cheers

5. Kin-kin New Member

Puerto Rico/ Spanish
    Thank you for your suggestions. What about "binge"?

6. The only way I have heard binge, -I stress 'I', meaning the only way 'I' have heard it is with drinking. Binge drinking. I could be wrong, happened before, probably, will happen again. Now, it is associated with drinking somewhat in excess. You could be alone and doing binge drinking.
    Cheers!

7. Smitch18 Senior Member

Mexico
    English, U.K.
    Although 'binge' is indeed usually associated with drinking, you can also have binge eating and you can binge on food. As it tends to mean 'to excess' it also tends to have negative connotations and the press in the UK often refers to the growing problem of binge drinking. So I don't think it would be a good translation of 'francachela', which appears to have more positive connotations. I think 'shindig' works, or maybe 'partying'.

8. Raquel8 Senior Member

USA English
    Castellano de Uruguay, básico
    ¿Que tal celebrating?

9. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish [PR], English [US]
    Binge drinking

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binge drinking or heavy episodic drinking is the modern epithet for drinking alcoholic beverages with the primary intention of becoming intoxicated by heavy consumption of alcohol over a short period of time.[1] It is a kind of purposeful drinking style that is popular in several countries worldwide, and overlaps somewhat with social drinking since it is often done in groups. The degree of intoxication, however, varies between and within various cultures that engage in this practice. A binge on alcohol can occur over hours or last up to several days. Due to the long-term effects of alcohol misuse, binge drinking is considered to be a major public health issue.[2]