1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. ABC123Y New Member

Spanish
    Estoy buscando por la etimología u origen de estas dos palabras italiana la primera y francesa la segunda,"fregata" y "corvette", es que estaba buscando las etimologías de las palabras en español de los buques fragata y corbeta, y me sale en el diccionario que provienen de estas dos palabras extranjeras. Si alguien me dejara saber sus origenes.Gracias.

Moderator note: In this thread, please answer only to the question concerning fregata. The thread about corvette can be found here: Click.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    <...>
    Frigate - unknown origin.

3. Quiviscumque

Quiviscumque Moderator

Ciudad del paraíso
    Spanish-Spain
  4. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Can fregata be related to "freight"? fregata was originally fragata in 14th century. Freight was pronounced like [fragt] or [fraxt] at that time. Is it possible that fragata was originally borrowed from Dutch/English as a small cargo (freight) ship?

5. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    If I may guess, relevant to brigata, brigade (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=brigade ) from a word meaning "crowd, gang". The names for ships are used for gangs and vice versa. e.g. barco - embarcada, Greek galaria (group of kids) from gallera, Gr. tsurmo (group of people), from a word meaning ship's crew and originally from L. turma. Also, according to a 19th c. Greek source, carabinieri from the Gr. karabos (ship).

6. Sempervirens Senior Member

italiano
    Ciao! Per saperne qualcosa di più, potrebbe esserti utile dare un'occhiata anche a questo sito>
    http://www.etimo.it/?term=fregata&find=Cerca Non si sa mai.

Saluti:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Can you give an explanation how the name of ship became the name of a soldier?

8. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    According to that author, those soldiers (16th century mercenary "marines") were transported from Greece to the west by ships. They were calling themselves "karavinoi" (people of the ships, mariners).
    There is an anologous in Greek: An old word for rowing ships was "katergo" (gallera) literally meaning "penal labour" (Crew in old rowing ships were mostly convicts and slaves). The person working in katergo is called katergaris, which today metaphorically means "a crook, an unhonest person".

9. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    Fregata, that could be related to Barge?

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I fail to see what this has to do with fregata. Can you help me there?