Fresh tomatoes grown in Italy

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by Ari09, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Ari09 Junior Member

Hi everybody,
    I urgently need to translate the phrase "Fresh tomatoes grown in Italy" (referring to a tomato puree) into Dutch. Can you help me, please?
    Thank you in advance!
  2. pietos New Member

Verse tomaten groeien in Italië
  3. AllegroModerato Senior Member

Dutch (Netherlands)
    Verse tomaten van Italiaanse bodem, verse tomaten uit Italië, verse Italiaanse tomaten*

* The correct translation may vary depending on purpose and context, so it would be useful to provide some more information.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. Sjonger Senior Member

Dutch - Netherlands
    This doesn´t seem right, it´s the translation of ´Fresh tomatoes grow in Italy´.
    But here ´grown´ is a transitive verb, and than it means ´gekweekt´ or ´verbouwd´ or ´geteeld´.
  5. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Dutch - Netherlands
    I agree that Pietos' translation is not correct, as he has translated 'grow' rather than 'grown'. The translations proposed by AllegroModerato are all okay, though. The reason AllegroModerato left 'grown' out of the translation must have been that a word-to-word translation will result in awkward Dutch. 'Verse tomaten van Italiaanse bodem' sounds much better than 'Verse tomaten (die zijn) gekweekt in Italië' or 'In Italië gekweekte verse tomaten'.
  6. Sjonger Senior Member

Dutch - Netherlands
    bibibiben is absolutely right of course; in this case you can't use any of the translations of 'grown'. But nevertheless it's nice to know what it litteraly means.