1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

frog (verb)

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Cagey, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Term: frog (verb, transitive)

Your definition or explanation:
    To unravel knitting or crochet in order to repair a mistake or to reuse the material elsewhere.

Example: (An example of the term in use)

In the knitting world, however, frogs say "rip it, rip it." And that's the reason knitters use the term "frogging" as they merrily unravel their hours worth of knitting. (Techniques with Theresa by Theresa Vinson Stenersen on knitty.com)

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)

i just realized i had read a lace shawl pattern wrong (it's my first attempt at lace and as usual i just dived rigth in ;o) and i decided to frog it all and start over (sigh) -(comment posted by Lisa Marie on TECHknitting.blogspot.com March 10, 2008)
    I had to frog a sweater, made from Lorna's Bulky, after it had been worn and washed. It was unbelievably hard to frog after washing. posted by Linda, ibid. August 4, 2009 at 6:53 AM

I also saw several sad, stiff felted pullover sweaters. They were beyond frogging, poor things. (posted by Donna_Duck in a discussion of "Thrift Store Sweater Frogging Guilt" on Ravelry.com Saturday, March 16.)

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it?
    Yes, I've looked. I found it only in Allwords.com and Wiktionary.

2. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    This is a funny addition ~ and an interesting one too.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    :thumbsup:

This is what I think of when I hear frogging ~ image shows a jacket covered with fancy, purely ornamental braidy stuff, epaulettes, fake buttonholes, cuff details etc.

4. paulnguyen

paulnguyen New Member

Vietnam
    Vietnam
    frog : to hunt and catch frogs

5. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    It also applies to needlework which is unpicked as it is wrong, any kind of needlework. This is a very common term amongst designer/makers.

6. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Oh, excellent idea. I wonder whether to tink is still too esoteric? It's a similar but more laborious process, pulling unwanted knit stitches out one by one and returning the stitches below onto the needles, in order to avoid losing the earlier work. It's discussed in the same Knitty.com article.
    Etymology: knit spelled backward. (Honest.)