frontal headache 3/12 - medical term translation

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Hikee, May 7, 2013.

1. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    Polish/English - bilingual
    Mam do przetłumaczenia na polski kartę pacjenta. W zgłoszeniu dolegliwości pacjent skarży się na:
    [I have a clinical history chart to translate into Polish. In the complaints section, the patient is said to suffer from:]

"Frontal headache 3/12, worse in a.m. "Dull", "throbbing".

O ile reszta jest jasna, tak nie wiem co to jest to 3/12. Czekam na odpowiedzi.
    [Everything but the 3/12 part is clear to me. I'm waiting for replies.]

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I would say: ból głowy w okolicach czoła. 3/12 is most likely a date.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Może chodzi o datę?
    12 marca: tępy, pulsujący ból w okolicach czoła, nasilony w pierwszej połowie dnia.

Tu mamy podobny opis:
    Write-up: Pt was diagnosed with hypertension on 5/21/03 after 3 days of a consistent severe headache. BP was noted to be elevated 149/110 by pt then she presented to MD with BP 140/108. Pt was started on Diovan MCC 160mg. Pt was seen 3/6/03. She complained of headache, mild 3/9, moderate 3/10, turning to illness (feverr, diarrhea, headache, chills) on 3/11-3/12. Had moderate headache 3/11, then mild headache 3/12 and 3/13. On BP meds.
    http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfield.php?IDNUMBER=204903&WAYBACKHISTORY=ON

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I agree -- it is most likely a date. Otherwise it could be the intensity 3 on the scale from 1 to 12, but the scale is usually 1 to 10.

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Date doesn't make much sense here. 3/12 most likely means "from hour 3 to hour 12", that is the angle at the circumference of the head. In this case it would be a quarter of the head circumference, maybe the right frontal quarter (from the right ear to the middle of the forehead).

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, you might be right. It might be wise to ask a doctor or a nurse, because they use their own symbols that most other people do not understand.

7. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    Thank you all for your answers. 3/12 being a date is a more down-to-earth answer, and probably right, too. However, I most strongly hope that Ben Jamin is right (because it would be a lot more interesting if he was). I will investigate further on my own. Thanks again.

8. BezierCurve Senior Member

You might investigate various pain scores and other symptoms' "measures" as well. They may be using a 12 point scale of the strength of pain (although an 11 point one is probably more popular).

9. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    In many countries a scale of 10 degrees is used to assess pain, with 10 as maximum. In what country is the original text written? Anyway, it seems that guessing is not a good way of solving this problem. Only contact with the milieu where it comes from can help.

10. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Unless there are similar tags (with different values) in the text that could help pinpoint the meaning.

11. BezierCurve Senior Member

Yes, that's the one I mentioned (0 - 10). And I agree that guessing might be a bad idea here... In the worst case it can be left as it is, leaving the interpretation to doctors.

12. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    As it turns out, 3/12 is a period of time of 3 months (out of 12 months of a year). Another example - 4/7 - it means 4 days (out of seven days of a week). I am disappointed, but oh well. Problem solved, thread closed.