1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fully valid and applicable

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bernar3, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bernar3 Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Hello,

Does "fully valid and applicable" sound natural in (legal) English?

The instructions provided until the present day regarding this matter are fully valid and applicable.

Thank you!!

2. dakel Senior Member

USA- English
    That sounds fine. "Until the present day" sounds a little strange, but I don't know the context. What about "the current instructions regarding this matter..." The whole sentence is a little confusing. Are you saying that the instructions used to be one thing, but they changed "in the present day"? Perhaps, "The previous instructions are still fully valid and applicable today."

Without knowing more of the context it's hard for me to improve the sentence.

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    It depends a bit what the matter is, Bernar.

Valid can mean either still current (not-out-of-date - e.g. of a passport) or logically viable. I expect the first is the meaning applicable here; the second in fraught with problems in everyday language, because some people confuse validity with truthfulness, which is a separate matter.

Give us a little more context and it should be easy to tell. At first sight your phrase looks fine to me.

4. bernar3 Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    The context is a company that published a set of rules regarding use of computer at office and they want to say that those rules are still in force.

Thank you!

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    That's fine, thank you. The moment you said they were still in force I knew what you meant. I'd say that.

Talking about them as still fully valid and applicable sounds dreadfully ponderous.