funeral vs memorial service

Discussion in 'English Only' started by amby, Jul 5, 2011.

1. amby Senior Member

chinese
    I always thought funeral and memorial service mean the same thins. If not, what is the differnce between funera and memorial service?

2. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    For me, the body is present in the vicinity for a funeral service and awaiting burial or cremation. Not so for a memorial service.

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    A funeral is a ceremony that takes place prior to the burial or cremation of the body of a person who has died; it may include the actual burial. A memorial service takes place at a later time and is a ceremony remembering and honoring a person who has died. The death of a person may be observed by one or the other, or by both.

Sometimes a funeral is held by just the family, or family and very close friends, of the person who has died, and the later memorial service involves others who knew and admired the person who died.

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Funerals may also be religious rites; memorial services are largely secular, and focus entirely on the life of the deceased.

5. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    For me the crucial distinction is not whether or not it involves religious elements. A funeral takes place before the burial/ cremation and chances are the memorial is after.