1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

furred weights against the gutter

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MaryamSeresht, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MaryamSeresht

MaryamSeresht Senior Member

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    Greetings,

Kindly please tell your idea about the meaning of "like furred weights against the gutter". I just know that badgers are animals with fur, but I can't imagine them as weights against gutters! I don't know if gutters here are channels at the edge of a street or road or channels along the roofs?! I guess those badgers stick to channels along the building walls! Maybe!:confused: It's just my imagination.
    I shall explain that here Harold walks along the road, and see many things, like deers, dogs and badgers.

It's part of "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry"by Rachel Joyce, British writer.

Many thanks.

2. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The question is if the badgers were alive or dead. The gutters are on the edges of the road, and it's possible that the badgers had been hit by cars and were dead, they were laying as furry dead weights against the gutter of the road.

3. MaryamSeresht

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    Thanks, dear AutumnOwl. It could never occur to my mind that they are dead, it's an interesting idea. it has not been mentioned in the following lines or page, but if later I come across such thing, I will mention it here.

4. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The live badgers I've met have never stayed in a place when getting near them, they move away quickly as most wild animals do when a human comes near, so for a badger to lay still in a gutter it would mean that it was either dead or injured.

5. MaryamSeresht

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    You must be right; poor badgers!:( Again, thanks for your explanation.

6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Yes, I think this is what is meant. Dead badgers lying in gutters, killed by motor traffic, are a common sight on English country roads. It is sad to see them dead, and alarming when you are walking because you might be the next victim (normally there is nowhere to walk except in the roadway). On the other hand, seeing them dead is a reminder that there is still room for wild creatures in heavily populated England.

7. MaryamSeresht

Tehran/Iran
    Persian
    Thanks, teddy for your explanation.