Future (Will + Going To)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Barbara_Castellanos, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Barbara_Castellanos New Member

Tengo Una ConfusiÓn Entre El Uso Del Will Y Going To, Deseo Saber Cuando Debe De Usarse Uno Y Cuando El Otro.

Existe Alguna Diferencia O Regla.
  2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    No soy un hablante nativo, pero al que sé:

I will speak -> quiere decir que hablará en algún momento indefinido del futuro.

I am going to speak -> quiere decir que vay a hablar, en un momento futuro próximo del presente. Está casi empezando a hablar.
  3. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México - Español/Castellano
    Hola Bárbara:

Bienvenida al foro!

Por favor no escribas solamente en mayúsculas, porque esto es lo que sucede, y puede resultar confuso para quienes están aprendiendo español (además de que el escribir en puras mayúsculas equivale a gritar :( )

Con respecto a tu pregunta, yo personalmente uso el going to para algo más inmediato que el will:

I am going to study (en este momento me levanto y me voy a estudiar)
    I will study (En algún momento en el futuro voy a estudiar)

Esperemos a que alguien con mejores conocimientos de linguística o algún nativo dé mejores opciones.

Saludos :)

4. Martona Senior Member

Spain - Spanish

Yo también estoy estudiando inglés y quizá mi respuesta no sea completa del todo pero las reglas con las cuales yo me baso son:

Will: para expresar acción de futuro de forma espontánea, algo que acabas de pensar o decidir que harás.

To be + going to: Planes futuros, algo que ya tienes previsto hacer más adelante.

La diferencia básica es ésta. Will, no obstante, tiene otros usos, pero como diferencia con Going to la forma más rápida de entenderlo es:

Will: Espontáneo
    Going to: Planeado

Espero que te ayude un poquito y que alguien que sepa más pueda ampliarlo.

5. melinilla New Member

hola justamente hoy lo estuve viendo.
    El uso del will es para promesas y acciones que se realizaran en un futuro o predecir el tiempo: I won´t be late - It will rain, tomorrow - I´ll see you later

El going + to es también para hablar de "future plans" . Por ejemplo puedo decir .
    I´m playing the guitar tomorrow ( es decir que mañana tengo planeado tocar la guitarra porque por ejemplo tomo clases de la misma )
    distinto es cuando digo
    i´m playing the guitar ( lo estoy haciendo en este momento )

Espero que te haya servido
  6. Mita

Mita Senior Member

Chile - Español
    Por lo que sé (si está mal le echan la culpa a mi profesora :D ), "going to" se refiere a un futuro cercano y "will" a uno lejano. En español, la diferencia sería así:
    I'm going to eat = Voy a comer.
    I will eat = Comeré.
    Ojalá que se hayan aclarado tus dudas :)
  7. Fabian Banned

Sólo estoy de acuerdo con Martona y Melinilla. Lo dicho en mi libro de texto es casi idéntico a lo expresado por ell@s.

Will es usado para expresar una decisión o intención futura hecha en el momento de hablar:

1. 'It's Jane birthday.' 'Is it? I'll buy her some flowers.'

2. I'll give you my phone number.

3. 'Which do you want? The blue or the red?'
    'I'll take the red, thank you'

Para expresar una oferta

1. I'll carry your suitcase
    2. We'll do the washing-up

Going to se usa para expresar una decisión o intención futura, o un plan hecho antes del momento de hablar.

1. How long are they going to stay in Rome?

2. She isn't going to have a birthday party.

Saludos y buen día.
  8. Fabian Banned

Hice dos pequeñas correcciones en tu mensaje.
  9. Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Which is the diference of using " going to" or "will", as I see, I always use "will"...

Thank you

10. surfin_bird Senior Member

La diferencia, al menos la que yo he estudiado es que "i'm going to" es cuando tiene el plan pensado de antes (xej: i'm going to buy some apples) y el will con decisiones que tomas en elmomento (vas a por una manzana, no tienes y dices: I will buy some apples) De todas maneras, suelo utilizar casi siempre el will, y creo que es correcto...
  11. BasedowLives

BasedowLives Senior Member

i almost always use, "going to". it is easier to say, it flows off the toungue.

phonetically it'd be something like
    imunna go to the bar
  12. Tate_Harmann

Tate_Harmann Senior Member

St Paul, MN
    English / United States
    I agree, it seems as though in my area (Midwest US), we use "going to". And I have often wondered how it is in spanish. If a person asks, "¿Vas a ir?", do you say, "Voy a ir" o "Yo iré"? Is there a difference?
  13. odelotj Senior Member

Southern California, USA
    El Salvador, Spanish
    I would say voy a ir if asked myself
  14. Mei Senior Member

Where streets have no name...
    Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    Hi everybody!

if someone ask me ¿Vas a ir? I say Sí, ire. I use always the will because when I speak is faster say I'll be there that I'm gonna be there. Maybe I have it plan but I use the will. I must practise!!!

Thanks a lot

15. jess oh seven

jess oh seven Senior Member

UK/US, English
    GOING TO - expresses an action which has already been planned

WILL - expresses an action which has not yet been planned, an unconfirmed intention

eg. Today I am going to go shopping (I know this already), but I'm not sure about tomorrow - maybe I'll go swimming.
  16. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

Will is often used in expressions such as these:

I think I'll ...
    I don't think I'll ...
    He'll probably ...
    He probably won't ...
    Maybe we'll ...
    Maybe we won't ...
    There's a good chance you'll ...
    There's a good chance you won't ...
    If she does that, she'll ...
    If she doesn't do that, she won't ...

These expressions deal with probability, doubts, assumptions, predictions, etc.

To contrast the two constructions:

"You will die." :(
    This statement is a simple prediction.

"You're going to die." :mad:
    This statement sounds more like a threat.
  17. Cristinita New Member

Córdoba (Spain)
    "will" for predictions and quick decisions made at the moment (i.e. future action the subject cannot control, plan or decide)

"be going to" for plans already made.

That's the most brief explanation I can offer.
  18. charmedboi82 Senior Member

USA, English
  19. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic

I'm not convinced that the difference is planned/unplanned.

-Wow, it's really hot today.
    -Yeah, tell me about it.
    -Actually, I'm gonna go get a drink. Would you like one too?
    -Yeah, that would be great!

(The decision was made on the moment, and yet "going to" was used.)

-What are your plans for next year?
    -Well, I'll be in Spain for six months, where I'll attend a university.
    -And then?
    -Then I'll apply for a job.

(The person knows what he wants to do, and yet "will" was used and sounds fine.)

I just don't think the difference is clear cut. Context is indispensable.
  20. charmedboi82 Senior Member

USA, English
    I agree with that last bit, but I do think that the drinking buying was "planned". It was certainly forethought in the mind of the speaker even if the other party hadn't had previous knowledge of it. It seems to be more a mix of 'intention' and 'planning'. I don't think the sites and general ideas makes it seem like the 'plan' has to be all that planned out. A plan can be spontaneous, can't it?
  21. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    In my example, I meant that the person decided right then and there - because they were talking about how hot it was - to get a drink.

I had assumed the difference was between "premeditated plan" and "spontaneous plan." After all, even in situations like "I'll close the window" (decided right away) that can be considered a "spontaneous" plan (read intention).

Come to think of it though, even if you are talking about a longterm plan and it's decided on the spur of the moment, you can still use "going to."

-I had such a great time studying in France. The academic system was great, I had great friends, I lived in a great area, and I learned a lot of French.
    -Wow, that's great. In fact, you know what? I think I've just made a decision. I'm gonna follow in your footsteps and study in France.

I really don't see the distinction.
  22. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

Elroy is right. The distinction is very subjective and difficult to define. It is best illustrated with diverse examples:

If he yells at me, I will cry!

If he yells at me, I'm going to cry!

He yelled at me! I'm going to cry!

All of the above sound fine. However,

He yelled at me! I will cry!

This last one sounds awkward. (But people will still understand what you are trying to say).

The difference between "will" and "going to" is subtle and may vary from context to context or even from person to person. The more examples you hear/read— in diverse contexts and situations— the more you will get a feel for how to use "will" and "going to." If you are afraid of saying the wrong thing, relax. A slight mistake may reveal that you are not a native speaker, but it will not significantly change the meaning of your statement.
  23. maria_i Junior Member

En México es poco común que alguien diga, aunque es correcto:
    ¿Saldrás de vacaciones? Si, saldré la próxima semana.

Lo común es decir:
    ¿Vas a salir de vacaciones? Sí, voy a salir.

El futuro se utiliza poco en el habla diaria.

24. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

Here are some more examples:

This first example is paraphrased from the movie Yojimbo:

Villager: "Are you really going to fight with that weapon?"
    Samurai: "I will!"

In the above context, the use of "will" implies extreme certainty. The samurai is absolutely determined to fight with his weapon. In this case, "will" signifies a planned action.

Here's an example in which "will" and "going to" are almost the same:

"Someday, I'll marry that girl."
    "Someday, I'm going to marry that girl."

The above two statements are practically identical.

Here's an example in which "will" and "going to" are slightly different:

"I'm going to take out the trash tomorrow."
    "I'll take out the trash tomorrow."

To my ears, the first statement— "I'm going to"— sounds like a planned action.

The second statement— "I will"— could also be used to describe a planned action. However, to my ears, the second statement sounds more like the speaker is procrastinating, as if he or she really doesn't want to take out the trash.
  25. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

More examples:

Here's an example of "will" used for planned actions:

"Today, I'll go to the bank and do my drycleaning. Then I'll mow the lawn. I'll call my girlfriend just before I go to bed."

Here are examples of "going to" used for events that the speaker did not plan:

"I think I'm going to be sick."
    "It's going to rain on Wednesday."

Here's an example in which "will" and "going to" are almost the same:

"Will you be at the party?"
    "Are you going to be at the party?"
  26. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

In general, I would say that "going to" is more immediate. "Going to" is frequently used to describe actions in the near future, when the speaker is on his or her way to doing something. "Going to" can also sound more informal/familiar compared to "will."

However, "going to" can often be used to describe actions in the distant future, and "will" can often be used to describe actions in the near future. In addition, each can be planned or unplanned. Furthermore, each can be used in formal/unfamiliar or informal/familiar contexts.

As you can see, elroy said it well: "context is indispensible." Is any of this helpful or just more confusing?
  27. bluejazzshark Senior Member

English, England
    Here are the uses of will and going to according to official British English TEFL:

Will: Spontaneous decision, promises/offers, prediction
    going to: planned decision, prediction.

Confusion arises because their uses overlap. These are all equivalent:

It´s going to rain
    It´ll rain
    Brazil are going to win the world cup
    Brazil will win the world cup

However, we always make promises and offers with "will":

I need someone to clean the car for me
    - "I´ll do it" (NOT I'm going to do it)

I´ll give you a hand with your homework later, ok? (promise)

They´ll fix your car within an hour (promise)

"Spontaneous Decisions" - WILL

Are you hungry?
    - Yes, I´m starving.
    OK, I´ll make you some lunch. (spontaneous decision and promise)
    (NOT: I´m going to make you some lunch)

This example gives an example which contrasts the "will/going to" for plans usage:

What are you going to do tomorrow?
    - I don´t know. I haven´t decided yet. Maybe I´ll go into town, or perhaps I´ll study.
    That´s not very definite... can´t you decide on anything?
    - I know! I´ll go to the cinema with Sarah again.
    That´s a good idea. Why don´t you phone her up and arrange it?
    - OK. I´ll do that.
    <he phones Sarah and they plan to meet>
    So, what are you doing tomorrow?
    - I´m going to meet Sarah at 8pm outside the cinema and then we´re going to watch Revenge of the Sith.

GOING TO -- planned decisions.

Oficially, "going to" is for planned decisions:

I´m going to go to the USA this summer (I´ve bought the tickets)
    He´s going to live in Spain next year (already arranged)
    I´m going to learn German (I´ve already decided to do it)

Hope that helps,

- Blue
  28. Swettenham

Swettenham Senior Member

I'm glad someone cleaned up the mess I made. Confusion was definitely arising! :p Thanks for consulting the experts, bluejazzshark! :thumbsup:
  29. Ziza Junior Member

I've read a lot of grammar books to teach future forms in English and the difference between will and going to. I thought I understood how to use them but i've found a book saying English language has preference for using WILL. Is that true? I really though it was more common to use GOING TO (gonna), especially in informal conversations. I'm confused!!!

Thanks million!
  30. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    You're right, Ziza - "going to" is used more in conversation or informal written communication. "Will" appears in more formal writing.

When "will" does appear conversation, it expresses more determination than "going to".

"I will go to church tomorrow", in spoken English, is more emphatic than "I'm going to church tomorrow".

Hope that this helps.
  31. Ziza Junior Member

Thanks a lot Chaska Ñawi!!!

I needed to make sure what i thought!

See you!
  32. Hussein New Member

Zanzibar ( Swahili )
    Hi Mei, Thanks for your help earlier,
    I think in this case I am with " jess oh seven "
    " I am Going to " is like you are going to do something... ( Sooner or later )
    " I Will " is like you are going to do something ( for sure )

ejemplo :
    " I AM GOING TO " buy that car.... something like you
    are not quite sure about it !!!
    " I WILL " buy that car.... means you definetly going
    to buy that car ( for sure )
    I hope this helps !!!...
    divertirse :)
  33. dergott

dergott Senior Member

Hi Friends,

I'd like to know the difference between "I will" and "I'm going to"

Thanks a lot :)
  34. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Los dos se usan para indicar una acción futura, will es bastante neutro (en general, hay excepciones) sólo indica futuridad. Going to suele tener además de futuridad, intención o propósito de hacer algo.
  35. jetman

jetman Senior Member

English - USA
    dergott, ¿hay una diferencia entre, "Hablaré con ella mañana" y "Voy a hablar con ella mañana"? Creo que es lo mismo en inglés.

Corríjanme por favor.
  36. dergott

dergott Senior Member

Muchsa gracias a todos por la ayuda. De todas maneras, tengo entendido que entre ambas formas hay una diferencia de seguridad/no seguridad
  37. bobbyfischer

bobbyfischer Senior Member

USA, English
    Estrictamente hablando…

"Hablaré con ella mañana"
    I will talk to her tomorrow

"Voy a hablar con ella mañana"
    I am going to talk to her tomorrow

“Voy a hablar” hace pensar que la acción es más inmediata que “Hablaré”. Pero este no es siempre el caso, Se puede decir por ejemplo:

Voy a hablar con ella la próxima semana.
    Hablaré con ella en unos instantes.

En realidad no hay una regla estricta. ¿Alguien tal vez opine de manera diferente?
  38. Pandorga Senior Member

Castilla-La Mancha

Will lo utilizamos para un futuro que puede ocurrir o no, incierto, o cuando tomamos una decisión en el momento de hablar. También para hacer promesas

I will be a doctor. Si te preguntan por algo que te gustaría ser, pero tú no estás estudiando medicina.

Otro ejemplo: I'm going to the cinema this night. Tengo las entradas.
    Oh! I will go with you. Lo acabo de decidir.

39. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    The only thing between HABLARÉ and VOY A HABLAR is
    1) hablaré being more used in writing
    2) voy a hablar being more used in speech

there's no difference like in English,
    both HABLARÉ and VOY A HABLAR can mean both 1. futurity and 2. intention

in Latin America, simple future (hablaré) is rarely used, and in some countries, like Argentina almost never used in speech, ir + a + infinitive is used instead (for both futurity and intention) :)
  40. bobbyfischer

USA, English
  41. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy

Going-to future is used when the speaker wishes to express
    • previously formed intention: "I am going to look into the matter thoroughly." (If will was used here, it would imply a presently-formed spontaneous decision.)
    • certainty about the future based on evidence or fact from the present or the speaker's opinion: "If you don't hasten, you are going to get caught by the police and hauled back to gaol." "Woeful tidings I bring – the clouds I have seen just behind this mountain, but heading our way, indicate that our humble dwellings are going to be swept away by the impending storm." (Here, will can be substituted for going to without changing the sentences' meaning.)
  42. Joey. Senior Member

Long Island, NY
    English / New York, U.S.A.

Hasta donde se, en ingles, la regla es que "I will" es con mas enfasis, y la oracion normal seria "I shall". Entonces, cuando una persona dice que "you shall," esto es con mas enfasis porque la verbo normal (para "2nd person"--you--and para "3rd person"--he, she it) es "will" (you, he, she, it, WILL).

Es como las Tablas de la Ley (10 commandments) "You SHALL not...

Este dia, no se si la regla es lo mismo como la regla del pasado, pero normalmente, se usa "will" por todo (basicamente). Suena mas natural.

Ahora con "going" y "will," "will" es con mas enfasis (usualmente) que "going," pero depende. Tambien muy coloquial es decir "I'LL"--la contraccion. Como "going" una contraccion tiene menos enfasis.

Espero te sirva un poco.
  43. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
    United States/México, English
    Estoy de acuerdo con Joey. Estoy NO de acuerdo con la wikipedia (de kurumin).

Saludos desde Mazatlán

SEXTO SENTIDO Senior Member

Hi Dergott

Will - is future long term . Jugare basketball la semana proxima.

Going to- is future short term. Voy a jugar basketball en 10 minutos .

Sexto Sentido
  45. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Tiene razón...en español pero no es la misma en inglés. Lo siento.

Saludos desde Mazatlán

SEXTO SENTIDO Senior Member

Hi Pandorga .
    You wrote - I'm going to the cinema this night. Tengo las entradas.
    I suggest you ......

I´m going to cinema tonight .
  47. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Saludos desde Mazatlán
  48. Angeles2 New Member

the difference b-tween will and going to. is
    will is a probability it might happend or will happend but one time in a future not too close is used to make promises. you are not completly sure
    and going to. is used when U R sure you are going to do. or you'll in a close future.you are totally sure.
  49. mazbook

mazbook Senior Member

Posiblemente en español, Angeles2, pero no es correcto en inglés.

Saludos desde Mazatlán
  50. bobbyfischer

USA, English