1. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    I work with street kids and there are some terms I do not understand. What do the words cocho, pedo and yano mean?
    Does the phrase "o yano se acuerda de la RAZA y como an estado" mean- Does he agree with Raza ( gang called the Race or the People ) and is he United or with us?
    I am confused by the following:
    Por alla y on a avido pedo con la Raza. Y que trans a con mi homie el ______ ( a name) todavia esta per all o yano si esta por alla entregal? esta carta que le envio al wey, y dile que cuando tu y mi homeboy el ____( name) me escrivan el tambien me escriva tambien dile al pinche se jon del ___ (a name).(I don't understand entregale, al wey or dile so this makes little sense to me).Help.

Y dile que cuando tu y mi homeboy el ___ ( name) me escrivan el tambien me escrivia, tambien dile al pinche se jon del ____( name). Que por Queno me contesto al wey. Y dile queso compa el Moy ya se va ir para su canton en 6 dias y dile quele manda Salvdos.

I am confused. What in the world does this mean?
    what does salvderne ala raza mean? Save the Raza?
    and El Konejo - is that the rabbit misspelled as a gang name?

As you can see I am struggling with very poor spanish and gang slang and not doing too well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will get better. I need to be able to speak to the kids in their form of language. Thank you so much.

2. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    Hello greetree and welcome to the forums!

Based on the slang employed, I would say that these teens are of Mexican descent perhaps Chicano right? If that's the case I can't really help you out there (I can translate the sentences, but without knowing exactly what those slang words mean, it would be useless; I know more about caribbean slang than anything) but we have a lot of native Spanish speakers from Mexico who know bit more about the meanings of the slang words you wish to know. Just wait for a few minutes or so and you should get a couple of responses. Take care,

Swift

3. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    Thank you for the welcome. I hope someone from Mexcio can help.

4. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    No puedo entender prácticamente nada de lo que dice el texto. Parece chino.

5. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    jajajajaj quería decir lo mismo pero me abstuve no fuera que estuviera ofendido el autor.

6. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    si, muy extraño.

7. swift_precision Senior Member

US/English
    wow, usually by this time a lot of people have jumped on this. Muy extraño como dices greentree.

8. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    believe me , it will not offend anyone to to attempt to translate this mess. i suppose no one wants to wade in this water, however.

9. cjromo Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Chile, Spanish
    mi humilde aporte:
    wey/pinche = guy, dude (en este contexto)
    entregale = give it to him (la carta, I think)
    dile = tell him

Creo que tienes problemas con el deletreo de palabras y por eso el texto es aun mas ininteligible. Por ejemplo, creo que 'a avido' es 'a habido'...
    Creo que si pudieras reconocer las palabras y el contexto talvez seria un poco mas facil traducirlas
    espero que esto te ayude en algo :)

10. mattt777 New Member

U.S. English
    hola Greentree.
    Spanish slang changes everywhere you go. Especially in Mexico and people from Mexico in different regions and even in certain pueblos en Mexico they have their own slang. Anyway

1. yano se acuarda de la raza........is like...dont you remember the race? (meaning the latin race, or more spicifically Mexicanos)
    2. "Pedo" is a word used in Mexico meaning drunk, or in some parts of Mexico it could mean being angry.
    3. "Cocho" I have a friend that always uses this word and It can mean like faget. But used entre amigos.
    4. "Que Tranza" translated directly would mean... what a trance in mexican slang it means.....where you been or its good to see you...mas o menos
    5. "Wey" in spanish is actually spelt "Büay" this directly translated is a castrated cow, really, but slang.......like DUDE...used among amigos. como orale büay.

Espero que esto te ayude un poco.

11. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    OH! so much help! muchas gracias! con agradecimiento, greentree

12. Orgullomoore Senior Member

Oklahoma
    Inglés estadounidense
    Ah, I wish I would have seen this earlier. Here's the translation:

There's been some problems with our people out there. And what's the deal with my homie, _______, is he still over there or not? If he's still there give him this letter that I send to him, and tell him that when you and my homeboy _______ write to me for him to write to me too. Ask him why he didn't answer me. And tell him that that compadre Moy (also a name :p) is going to his cantón (??) in six days and that he says hi.Ah, I wish I would have seen this thread before....let's see:

"Salúdame a la raza" is something like "say hi to everyone for me"
    Konejo is indeed a common gang nickname, rabbit mispelled

13. Metztli

Metztli Senior Member

The Purgatory
    Mexico Spanish / English
    I can help you with some...

"o yano se acuerda de la RAZA
    Ya no se acuerda de la raza... he doesn't remember his friends/gang anymore or He forgot about his family and friends.

y como an estado" y como han estado.
    and how they're doing.

Por alla y on a avido pedo con la Raza.
    Por alla ya no ha habido pedo con la raza.
    (Pedo is a very vulgar word that means lots of things: drunk, problem, issue)
    There has been no problems with the gang over there (or something like that)

Y que transa con mi homie el ______ ( a name) todavia esta por alla o ya no
    And what about my friend _______ is he still hanging out over there or not anymore?

si esta por alla entregale* esta carta que le envio al wey**,
    If he's still around, give him this letter I'm sending him.
    (*entregar=deliver/give. entregale=deliver it to him/give him)
    (**wey/guey means dude)
    y dile que cuando tu y mi homeboy el ____( name) me escriban el tambien me escriba
    Tell him to write me a letter, too, when you and my homeboy do.

tambien dile al pinche cejon del ___ (a name).
    when they use cejon, it's like calling names or maybe a nickname. Ex.Tell that fatso, tell that midget, etc. cejon is what we might call unibrow.

Que por Que no me contesto al wey.
    Ask him why he didn't write back. (Again, they end the sentence with wey as in dude)

Y dile que su compa* el Moy ya se va ir para su canton** en 6 dias y dile quele manda Salvdos
    Tell him that Moy, his camrade, is going back home in 6 days and that he says hi.
    (*compa is the short of compadre. In this case compa, compadre y like a very close friend)
    (**canton is house, home)

and El Konejo - is that the rabbit misspelled as a gang name? I believe you're right.

Hope it helps and good luck!

14. Kmanx Junior Member

Mexico
    Mexico / Spanish
    Metztli is right in everything

15. greentree New Member

U.S.A.
    USA - English
    LIFE SAVERS ALL OF YOU! I cannot tell you how much help this is. You have helped prevent much trouble in our barrio! Gracias!

16. El Chino New Member

English
    Metztli nailed it all...remember for the future some slang could be old school Calò....

17. perrodelmal

perrodelmal Senior Member

Guadalajara, Mexico
    Mexico Spanish
    Ideed, poor poor spanish, I think yano is just a mistype, it should be ya no meaning "or you don't remember La Raza anymore" and "y como an estado" should be "y como han estado" meaning " and how you doing"

mispelling a lot. hehe it could mean "There has been no problem (problem=pedo=fart literally) with La Raza"

"Y que transa con mi homie" "So what's going on with my homie"
    "Todavía esta por alla o ya no?" "Is he still there or has he gone now"
    "entrégale esta carta que le envío al wey" "give him this letter i'm sending him" (wey=dude)
    "dile que cuando tu y mi homeboy me escriban, que el me escriba tambien dile al pinche cejón del...." "tell him to write me when you and my homeboy do" when he says dile al pinche cejón he's just giving him a nickname "tell that fuckin' cejón" (cejón means he has a very prominent eyebrow)

"Ask him why he did not answer me"

"queso" should be "que su", "cantón" means "casa" in slang, "quele" should be "que le" and Salvdos should be "Saludos" as in "Greetings"

"And tell him that his friend "El Moy" is going back home in 6 days, and tell him that he says hi"

Hope it helps and I hope they could learn proper spanish someday :D