1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

garagem

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by reka39, Jan 19, 2013.

1. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Hello! If I say 'garagem' in PTE without further context, what comes to your mind: a space, inside a building/house, used to park the car or the place where the mechanic work? thank you.

2. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    Creio que uma estação de combustíveis, com ou sem serviços mecânicos.
    Os portugueses confirmam?

3. Saltzman

Saltzman New Member

Brazil
    Portuguese
    Hi, I'm new here, so I'm wondering what "PTE" means. Is it Portuguese from Portugal? I can't help you with that, but in Brazil, if you use the word "garagem" i will automatically think of a space, inside a building/house, where you can park your car. The place where the mechanic work is often called "oficina mecânica" or just "mecânico", and, "estação de combustíveis, com ou sem serviços mecânicos" I'd call "posto de gasolina"... Anyway, as I mentioned, this is how we call it here in Brazil.

4. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    Sim, é isso, PtEu, PTE = português europeu
    PtBr, PTB = português brasileiro

5. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu
    Hello,

In Portugal, I think that the word "garagem" without further context would mean the place inside a house/building used to park a car. The word may also refer to the place where you take your car to have it repaired, but I think "oficina" will be more common for that. The place where you fill up your car would be "posto de gasolina" / "bomba de gasolina" / "estação de serviço".

6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I agree very much with Ruca. Garagem is first and foremost the room where you park your car in a house. A mechanic's workshop is best known as oficina.

7. englishmania Senior Member

Portugal
    European Portuguese
    I've never used/heard the word garagem=oficina in Portuguese, (although it's in the dictionary) so I'd advise you not to use it like that.

to me
    garagem > where you park your car (where you live) ; in a public place : parque de estacionamento

oficina > where cars are repaired ( It's very common to say "tenho de ir ao mecânico/vou levar o carro ao mecânico").*

*It's common to say "Vou ao dentista", "Vou ao médico", "Tenho de ir ao cabeleireiro", ...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  8. reka39 Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you all.
    Would you say 'parque de estacinamento' also if it is indoor (for example, in a commercial center)?

9. englishmania Senior Member

Portugal
    European Portuguese
    Shopping centre? Yes.

10. Brazilian Girl

Brazilian Girl Senior Member

São Paulo, SP, Brazil
    Portuguese Brazil
    "Garagem" in Brazil we understand as a private parking area for cars, as in home (house/ building).
    "Estacionamento" is a parking area in commercial buildings, shopping malls, etc.
    "Oficina (mecânica)" is the place that provides mechanical repair for cars.