1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Gardeners

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by ajparis, May 2, 2013.

1. ajparis Senior Member

Paris
    American English
    Hello, I'm putting together the list of characters in an old English pantomime to be performed in Germany. Three of them are girls who work in a garden: Rosa (who waters the plants), Violetta (who sows flower seeds) and Colombina (who picks weeds). Would it sound OK if I identified them as Giesskannemädchen, Samensäerin and Unkrautjäterin ? I don't necessarily need professional gardening terms, it would be better if they sound charming or even comical. Any corrections or suggestions are welcome!

2. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    It should be 'Gießkannenmädchen'. 'Samensäerin' and 'Unkrautjäterin' seem to be okay to me. I wish you a lot of success with your performance!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  3. Liam Lew's Senior Member

I agree, the terms are understandable and seem ok to me.

4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings

In a pantomime context, you might care to work a pun on Unkrautjägerin.

Σ

5. ajparis Senior Member

Paris
    American English
    Thanks all. I just would like to double-check about the extra N in Gießkannenmädchen recommended by Ablativ. She has only one watering can; wouldn't the added N make it into a plural?

6. ablativ Senior Member

German(y)
    No, it has nothing to do with plural. This extra N is called "Fugen-n" (in general "Fugenlaut"). http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugenlaut

Example: die Klasse (singular) ---> however, das (singular) Klassenzimmer. There are many other examples.

Gießkannenmädchen has definitely to be written (and pronounced) with an "n".

7. ajparis Senior Member

Paris
    American English
    Thanks, ablativ! In highschool I was given the Goethe Book Award, "for the student who made the most effort in German, not necessarily with the best results." But I'm still trying...