1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. WoodRat Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    El título del reportaje dice así:
    Asestan hoy el cuarto gasolinazo en menos de seis semanas
    My translation:
    They strike today with the fourth gasoline price gouge in less than six weeks.
    Le agradecería mucho si alguien puede comprobar que tengo la idea correcta o tal vez dar una mejor traducción.

Vea el artícul completo aquí:

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2010/02/06/index.php?section=economia&article=019n1eco

2. Henrik Larsson Senior Member

Socuéllamos
    Spanish
    Yes, you are right. "Gasolinazo" is an invented word, by the way.

3. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
    I've never heard of a price gouge, but I gather that it's what we call a price hike in the UK.

I think you've got the right idea: in my British way, I'd say somethiing like - the 4th price hike in 6 weeks hits the petrol pumps today.

4. WoodRat Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Thank you Henrik, and yes I assumed it was a coined word by the Mexican writer. I just wanted to have a native speaker verify the meaning.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. goodoldave Senior Member

Missouri USA
    English - USA
    Maybe it's an American English usage, but "price gouging" implies more than just a price hike. It means to greatly increase the price of something that people have to have, normally due to an unexpected shortage. An example with respect to gasoline was with hurricane Katrina. Due to the storm, gasoline was in short supply and some gasoline stations raised the price to high levels. Price gouging is illegal in the US.

Dave

6. WoodRat Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    We use price hike also, such as to convey a meaning of inevitable inflation, but price gouging has a criminal overtone, such as raising prices beyond the pale. Thank you for informing me it's usage is not so common in the UK.

7. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
    Very interesting, thanks. I've spent the last 10 minutes looking up about price gouging! Ah the distraction of the Internet... :eek:

It really doesn't seem to come up in UK english except in very specific financial terminology. I've never seen it in a newspaper headline.

8. RaulCavazos

RaulCavazos Senior Member

Monterrey, México
    Mexican Spanish

Yes, you are right. "Gasolinazo" is the word "gasolina" with a sufix "azo" to form a word that means a violent action or strike. The use of that word is not new. The media and politicians use to make that kind of words to strike the govenment, the usage of the sufix makes the people to feel it like an assault.

"They strike today with the fourth increase in gasoline prices in less than six weeks"

-azo, -a
    1</B> Sufijo con que se forman nombres de acción violenta o de golpe: "arañazo, porrazo, portazo, cañazo".
    2 Forma también aumentativos: "perrazo". A veces, estos aumentativos son despectivos: "cazurrazo, cochinazo". Otras, son despectivos o aumentativos afectuosos: "buenazo, picaronazo, madraza, padrazo". En Hispam. se usa mucho aplicado a adjetivos con un matiz ponderativo: "valientazo".

9. WoodRat Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Gracias Raúl. Años de lectura de artículos de prensa en español en la Internet me ha dado una vaga idea de este fenómeno gramatical español para enfatizar un efecto violento de una acción de una persona o grupo. Su prestación del mecanismo gramatical especifica que permitirlo es muy apreciada.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010