1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Gato?

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by aedude94, Aug 14, 2006.

1. aedude94 Senior Member

Michigan
    English United States
    What does gato mean in Portuguese? I know it means cat, like in spanish, but i am thinking it means something else too. I keep seeing Homen Gato on this one site that has different groups and stuff you can join, and it's under like the culture and society section. Therefore, i am thinking maybe it means gay or something like that but i don't know. I mean i am sure it probably doesn't mean cat-man, haha. Well, please clarify! Thanks!

2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Brazilian Portuguese, "gato" is slang for "handsome". :)

3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Some examples of gatos: Brad Pitt, Pierce Brosnam, George Clooney, Johnny Depp...;) Well, you can add all the gatos from your own list.:)

4. Minimagpro Junior Member

Cádiz España
    English
    Hey Vanda, I live in Spain and I just recently returned from a 3 week mission trip to Belo Horizonte and it was awesome. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

5. You can also use the feminine form "gata" to refer to beautiful women. :)

6. moura

moura Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese Portugal
    Costuma-se também dizer com "gato", uma expressão que significa que há uma marosca ou algo de suspeito por perto: Aqui há gato!

There is a Portuguese expression, that we use to say that something funny or odd, not seen, but happening near by: Aqui há gato! (There's a cat somehwere!)

7. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    We also use "gato" in the sense Moura said. For example, when a person steals electricity from his neighbor's to his house, or a telephone line, or the cable TV - yes this is sooooo common in here - they make a "gato".

8. moura

moura Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portuguese Portugal
    Lembrei-me de outra aplicação de "gato". Em peças de louça, geralmente mais valiosas e antigas, para juntar uma parte partida, colocacam-se uns agrafos grossos em metal a que os restauradores chamam "gatos".

I've just remembered another "gato" use. In china, specially the most valuable and ancient, for repairing broken peaces, some thick metal agraffes are used and called "gatos"

http://espaco-restauro.planetaclix.pt/2a15f000.jpg