General Manager vs Managing Director

Discussion in 'English Only' started by riglos, Nov 8, 2005.

1. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Hi people!

I find these two words almost synonymous, but they both appear in an article clearly making reference to two different people. I imagine that a Managing Director has more power and is above a General Manager, who, in turn, reports to the Managing Director. These words are sometimes used interchangeably, but I assume a Managing Director would be equivalent to a CEO. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks a lot!

2. *Cowgirl*

*Cowgirl* Senior Member

USA English
    I would think that they are official titles in one company, and could be reversed in another
  3. Rodolphe Member

The managing director is the big boss
    The general manager is surely the joint managing director.

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    These are apt to be BE terms.

In AE, the term General Manager is used mostly for sports teams.
  5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A Managing Director is formally a Director of the company - she is, in fact, the Managing Director and hence head honcho of the company at Board level.
    A General Manager is an employee. OK, an important employee, but an employee.

If you look around the web, you will find that sometimes the MD is the GM, sometimes the Finance Director is the GM, sometimes the GM works for the MD.
  6. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    I believe (?) Managing Director is another word for Chief Executive Officer (CEO), but it is a top level position.

General managers are in charge of numerous functions within an organization or department e.g., marketing, sales, engineering, finance, etc.
  7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australian English
    I agree with Panj on this one. A Managing Director may formally be a director of a company but not actually do any work except turn up for board meetings. A General Manager just works for the company in the position of General Manager.