Georgian, [f] sound

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by 涼宮, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Hello!

As far as I can see the Georgian language doesn't have the /f/ sound. If I wanted to write a foreign name or word that contains such sound what letter or combination of letters do I use?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I think they use pʰ ფ. The absence of a /f/ phoneme is a well-known areal feature in the languages and dialects to the South of the Caucasus.

3. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    მადლობა! :) It's interesting that a language doesn't have such a common sound like /f/.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    All ‘f’ sounds in Slavic languages come from relatively late foreign loans. In the middle ages there was no ‘f’ in the Slavic languages, and the ‘f-s’ in loans were assimilated to ‘p’.
    The Ancient Greek didn’t use the ‘f’ either, but had an aspirated ‘p’ (ph), later developed into ‘f’.

5. gaaxure New Member

ქართული(Georgian)
    The interesting thing is Georgians have no problem pronouncing F properly. in fact i don't know a sound that Georgians have trouble pronouncing. aside from English "th" they either say "Z" or "S" which is quite funny to listen to.

6. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    /f/ has been traditionally unknown in most Indian languages too. But many languages are now showing a pʰ>f shift.

7. ESustad Senior Member

Washington, DC
    English - (Minnesota)
    Korean doesn't have /f/. They substitute /p/ for it.