1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Georgian "Isani" (name of a Metro station in Tbilisi)

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by sound shift, Nov 4, 2012.

1. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Good afternoon,

I am trying to find out the meaning of Georgian "Isani", which is the name of one of the stations on the Tbilisi Metro (and of the surrounding area, I believe). This webpage claims that the word is of Arabic origin and means "stronghold", but I would like to see a few more opinions. My interest stems from the fact that Isani is the surname of one of my relatives. Thanks.

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    There is an Arabic word ḥiṣn حصن meaning “fortress”. I am not in a position to say whether this is the source of the Georgian word cited by you, but somehow I doubt it.

Is your relative of Georgian origin?

3. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Thanks.

No, my relative is the English widow of a Pakistani from Sindh whose surname was Isani. She wondered whether there could be any connection between her surname and the name of the Tbilisi Metro station. I told her that I doubted it, but even if there is no link, she would still like to know what, if anything, "isani" means in Georgia and what it means in Pakistan.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012