1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

German cognate of "to buy"

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Frank78, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a German cognate of the English "to buy". This English etymology dictionary mentions the Old Saxon word "buggjan". Unfortunately, it doesn't "look" like any contemporary German word. Or maybe there is only one in Low German?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. Roel~ Junior Member

Nederlands - Nederland
    I don't think that there are any words left which look like "buggjan" and have a similar meaning. I checked my first language Dutch but I can't find any word looking like "buggjan" with the same meaning neither.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I have been trying to find links with other Germanic words, but in vain. Could someone have a look at the OED ?

5. Quiviscumque

Quiviscumque Moderator

Ciudad del paraíso
    Spanish-Spain
    Try http://www.etymonline.com/

On the other hand, Pokorny says -for what it's worth- the following:

In Germ. *bheugh-: got. biugan, ahd. biogan `bend', aisl. participle boginn `bent, curved'; ablaut. ags. būgan `be bent', with fram `flee';
    Kaus. aisl. beygja, as. bōgian, ags. bīegan, ahd.bougen, nhd. beugen; aisl. biūgr `bent, curved', ahd. biugo `curve'; aisl. bogi, ags. boga (engl. bow), ahd.bogo, nhd. Bogen (ahd. swibogo `Christmas candle arcs (which literally means „an arched buttress“)' from *swi[bi-]bogo); perhaps in addition got. bugjan `let out, lend, buy', aisl. byggia `obtain a wife', ags. bycgan, as. buggian `buy' (compare nhd. dial. `be bent by something' = `acquire, take'); in addition probably lett. bauga and baũgurs `hill'.

6. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    The "real" OED gives the same Old Saxon and Gothic cognates, nothing from any modern Germanic languages, and is skeptical about any link with "bend":

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    We do have 'buigen', GER beugen, but it is never mentioned in etymologiebank.nl as etymologically related with buying indeed. I just thought of a link with borgen, which is related with ENG borrow, I think. To buy remains unclear, indeed, I am afraid.