Germanic: ides, idis, dís <- *dīsiz

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Ihsiin, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ihsiin

Ihsiin Senior Member

England
    English
    Hello everyone.
    I'm rather desperate to connect these words: Old Enflish 'ides', Old High German 'idis/itis' Old Norse and dís. They seem to me to be pretty clearly cognates and Wiktionary derives them from Proto-Germanic *dīsiz.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Germanic/dīsiz

However, I need a good, academic source (or sources) that make this connection.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. djmc Senior Member

France
    English - United Kingdom
    The Ides as in "Beware the Ides of March" were a Roman way of expressing dates. The Ides were normally the thirteenth except for March July October May when they were the fifteenth. Similarlily the Nones were normally the seventh except in the same months when they were the ninth. The Kalends were always the first. I am not at all sure about your reference. Are you talking about the same thing. The OED suggests that the word was borrowed by middle English from Latin. The Latin is Idus. The Latin dictionary of Lewis and Short suggest that it is from Etruscan. This would seem likely since it is a means of establishing dates which is very different from that of the Greeks. The word Kalendae would also be taken from Etruscan. It is normally thought that Etruscan is not Indo-european.

3. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    That is not the word Ihsiin asked about. He meant the Old English word ides, not the Latin word idus.

4. Ihsiin

Ihsiin Senior Member

England
    English