Germinarium, germatorium, germinatorium ?

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by KamiSeiTo, Apr 13, 2013.

1. KamiSeiTo Member

France french
    With some friends we want to create a club, the idea being we "plant" ideas and make them grow (sort of "philosophic discussion club, in reality) and we wanted a name that sounds "ancient latin". We wanted the "seed germinator" meaning.

I first thought germatorium, but though I've found little information on it, it seems to be a kind of children daycare in english (maybe only in some countries?).
    Then I googled both germinarium and germinatorium and found both existing, though the second is maybe someone else's mistake.

We don't want a mistake in our club's name. Could someone help me with these 2 (or 3) words? Do they all exist? Do they have the same meaning? Which meaning?

I do thank you in advance!! m(_ _)m
  2. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I found one word "VITALIS" (living) .try to view the English-Latin Ditionary from University of Notre Dame.
  3. radagasty Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    Australia, Cantonese
    All of these sound a little peculiar to me. I'd say seminarium is the accepted term for what you're trying to convey.
  4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

I strongly support radagasty's contribution (# 3 in this Thread): this is exactly right (hence of course, in modern usage both English and German, "Seminar"), based on semen, seminis (n.), precisely, "seed": so as well as having the right sort of literal meaning, it would carry nicely academic implications too, wholly appropriate for a philosophical/literary gathering of like-minded people.

Cicero (I forget the precise reference) described the Equestrian Order as the seminarium of the Senate, but that is a different matter...

valde spero istam sodalitatem propositam florituram esse.
  5. KamiSeiTo Member

France french
    Thank you all for your answers! ^^