1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

gesellte sich zu Faszination über

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by englishman12345, Jan 7, 2013.

1. englishman12345 New Member

English - England
    Hi

This sentence is unclear to me:

Zum ersten Mal seit der Pilzwolkenaktion gesellte sich zu Faszination über ein Ztohoven-Projekt massive Empörung, Mit-Initiator Roman Týc alias David Hons wurde sogar festgenommen.

For the first time since the mushroom cloud action joined to the fascination over a Ztohoven-Projekt's massive outrage.......?

2. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    It's topicalization again: the subject is "massive Empörung".

Massive Empörung [über ein Ztohoven-Projekt] gesellte sich zu Faszination [über ein Ztohoven-Projekt] ...

3. englishman12345 New Member

English - England
    Oh dear! Thank you.

I might give up!

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Don't do that. It takes a while but you will get the hang of it, as long as you keep in mind the mantra: the finite verb (the part of the verb that has the personal endings) is in the second position of a main clause. Once you've determined where the verb is, you can decide if what precedes is the subject or the topic. In this case, it clearly isn't the subject, so you need to go subject-hunting. In your sentence it's relatively easy: the only possible subject is massive Empörung, because every other noun has a preposition in front of it.

Once you've found the subject, move it to the front, like Demiurg did; move the original first part to the end (or another appropriate place) and hey! bingo! presto! suddenly the sentence makes sense.

If it's any consolation, I had to read it three times before it made sense for me.