get back off / from holiday

Discussion in 'English Only' started by milan55, Dec 5, 2012.

1. milan55 Senior Member

Is there any difference between… :
    a) I’ve just got back off holiday and …..
    b) I’ve just got back from holiday and ….

What will be the correct American version ??? I’ve just gotten back off (from) vacation and ….
  2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    "I just got back from (my) vacation." / "I've just gotten back from (my) vacation."

That would be the American way of saying this. :)
  3. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
  4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    I would opt for "back from holiday" too.
    However I can think of two reasons why people might tend to use "off" here.

(1) It's the natural opposite of "on", so:
    Switch the light on, switch the light off.
    Put your coat on. Take your coat off.
    She's just gone on a diet. She's just come off a diet.
    By the same principle: Go on holiday, come back off holiday (but I don't think this is good).

(2) There seems to be a growing tendency in BE, mostly among the less educated, to use "off" instead of "from", but only in certain contexts, e.g.:
    "Where did you get that hand grenade? I got it off a bloke in the pub. (Standard version: I got it from ...)
    "Is that your handbag? No, I borrowed it off my sister." (Standard version: borrowed it from ...)
    "Oh look, isn't he that bloke off the telly?" (That bloke on the telly (television), that bloke from the TV programme)
  5. milan55 Senior Member

Thanks a lot for explanations. Especially Enquiring Mind for the detailed and clear answer. THANKS
  6. b3n5p34km4n Member

American English
    To be explicit, Americans do not say "holiday"; we use "vacation". When we say holiday it's much more specific, for example: Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, etc. are holidays.