1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

get in the grind

Discussion in 'English Only' started by redgiant, Dec 13, 2012.

1. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Example: To have anything worth sharing, to have any skills worthy of their name, you've got to get in the grind and that takes time.

Source: how to be a chef cook

Background: This is taken from an article by a chef trying to bring wanna-be chefs crashing down from the dream in the restaurant industry. In the article, the chef thinks the basic skills you learn in cooking school is largely useless. If you want to survive in the industry, you have to actually work on your technique in a professional kitchen.

Is "get in the grind" slang? It doesn't appear in any mainstream dictionaries. I tried "on the grind" on Google and the first result was from Urban Dictionary, which gives its definition as

(Urban Dictionary)

The first part of the definition seems to fit the context, the second not so much. So I'd like to know if "get in the grind" and "get on the grind" are interchangeable and take on the meaning of "working hard"?

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I must admit that I have never seen the phrase before; the meaning seems straightforward and reminds me of the phrase from the 1960s, "to be in the groove".

In context, I would take "you've got to get in the grind" as being correct over "you've got to get on the grind"

In the grind to me = fully involved, completely immersed, live, eat and breathe the skill in question, (until you "
    grok in the fullness" :cool:)

3. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I wonder if the intended meaning is "get in the daily grind"? Get in the grind isn't an idiom that I'm familiar with (though as Paul says, its meaning seems straightforward), but daily grind is, and it means "everyday routine." That fits in the context quite well, I think.

4. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grind dreary, monotonous, or difficult labor, study, or routine

The grind in the kitchen is essentially working through all the things one has to do and learn to become good at your job whatever it is/was.

GF..

Many of us worked in the daily grind from 9 to 5 (you have got to be kidding, only 8 hours) where you have to grind through/continue to do your job, even when all you wanted to do is resign and get out of the rat race.

Luckily for me, the daily grind is no longer part of my life.