get into bed

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by erick, Feb 11, 2006.

1. erick Senior Member

Los Angeles, California
    California, English
    Come si tradurrebbe "get into bed" in italiano?

E poi, "crawl into bed?" Grazie

2. max63 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    I'd say. "andare a letto" for "get into bed" and "buttarsi a letto" for "crawl into bed"
    But I'm not sure
    Bye
    Max

3. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Max, andare a letto in English would be to go to bed.
    I'm tired. I'm going to bed.
    Get into bed is a little different. It describes the process of actually entering the bed.
    Crawl into bed is an expression used to describe the process of entering the bed when you are completely exhausted/drunk/unwell etc.
    I don't know if that helps with the translation. :)

4. max63 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Thanks Charles.
    Now, get into bed can be "infilarsi a letto" while "crawl into bed" can be "strisciare a letto" which implies that one is so tired that cannot reach his bed walking
    Better now? :)

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Excellent! It happens to me often, so now I'll know what I'm doing in both English and Italian. :D

6. erick Senior Member

Los Angeles, California
    California, English
    Grazie per tutte le risposte Max.
    Avevo in mente un'altra idea quando ho chiesto la domanda ... cioè, non nel caso in cui sei stanco. Invece uso "crawl into bed" per illustrare il movimento: dicevo alla mia ex-ragazza, "want to crawl into bed with me?" non perché eravamo stanchi ma come un invito (un po' sensualmente).
    Si può dire: «Vorresti strisciarti a letto con me?»
    Oppure: «Vorresti strisciare a letto con me?»

Si può anche usare "crawl into bed" quando una persona è stanca morta. Comunque penso che il tuo suggerimento di «strisciare a letto» vada bene per entrambi.

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Hi Erick, Is crawl into bed a common A.E. invitation for something more than sleep? I've never heard it in that context. Do you want to slip into bed is probably more common over here, but even then you need to specify why you want to go to bed to avoid confusion. :)

8. erick Senior Member

Los Angeles, California
    California, English
    Haha Charles! ;) Yes I guess we should specify for what purpose we're inviting someone into bed, but that can ruin the mood, eh? I don't know if it's common to A.E. but with a slight dose of imagination I think it can be used in the same context as "slip into bed" and more. Maybe it's the way in which you say it. The thing is, "going to bed" (with someone) can carry so many different meanings depending upon the context. So maybe I'm trying to be purposefully ambiguous rather than clear and specific. If you invite someone to "crawl into bed" using a fetching tone, it'll mean something different from the same suggestion told while tired or drunk. Anyhow, let's not descend into semantics. Just imagine being in bed and asking someone who isn't to join you. S/he can jump, slide, slither, roll, or somersault into bed ... but I think I'd prefer if they crawled up my bed.

9. leenico

leenico Senior Member

U.S.A. english
    Ha Ha Charles! If you want to avoid the confusion you might say something like "Lets finish this conversation by slipping between the sheets."

10. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Lee

It's quite similar in Italian: infilarsi sotto le lenzuola/coperte.

Now we need someone who will try out all these different ways of asking someone to join you in bed and who will report the results:)

11. Frenko

Frenko Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    I would say "spalmarsi sul letto" for crawl into bed i.e. "To spread oneself on the bed" just like butter on the bread (perhaps, extemporary, even with a slyly/ sensual intent) and "mettersi a letto" for get into bed

[Max, I never heard "strisciare a letto" before: it's a common idiom over there?]

:)

12. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Erick, I think someone somersaulting into your bed could possibly cause you some irreversible damage in a very specific part of your anatomy where the whole purpose of the invitation to bed will become totally inconsequential.;) What will then become crucial is how to get to the nearest hospital as quickly as possible. :D
    I must agree that the way you say it is very important in getting the correct message across.

Leenico, I think that's the only expression I know where there would be no ambiguity as to what was meant.

Carlo, that was a very smooth way of getting us to beg you to do the research. O.K. do it if you must, but we want to know all the ins and outs, the intimate details. ;)

13. Paulina Senior Member

Canada
    Ciao a tutti,

Allora.... e corretto dire: " Vorresti spalmiti sul letto" o "vorresti infiliti sotto le coperte"?

Grazie

14. max63 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    Hi Frenko, actually "strisciare a letto" it's not an idiom but I use it and have heard it used to convey the meaning of a great tiredness, maybe a more common expression is "trascinarsi a letto" :)

15. Frenko

Frenko Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    I've understood.

Thanks max :)

16. nbkc4d8 Senior Member

USA English
    I want to say: Right now I only want to crawl into bed with you! I miss the fantastic moments!

Proprio adesso solo spalmarsi sul letto con tu! Mi mancano i nostri fantastico momenti!!

17. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    I'd say "adesso voglio soltanto infilarmi nel/a letto con te! mi mancano quei (nostri) fantastici momenti!".