get off work or take off work?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NickJunior, Jul 19, 2007.

1. NickJunior Senior Member

Amérique du Nord
    Cambodgien
    Hi, kind people

I have a confusion between get off work and take off work. I want to ask my friend when he stops his work at his job for the day.

So should I ask him like this: "What time do you get off work?" Or should I ask him another way: "What time do you take off work?

Appreciatively yours,

2. moo mouse Senior Member

Paris, France
    English UK
    You should ask 'what time do you get off work?' or 'what time do you finish work?'
    To 'take time off work' means to take a holiday, or not go in to work that day. eg. 'I'm taking monday off'.
    Not to be confused with 'I'm going to take off now' which is just a colloquial expression meaning 'I am going now'.

3. NickJunior Senior Member

Amérique du Nord
    Cambodgien
    This is what I need. I have been hesitant and confused for years. This is above and beyond my expectation. Thank you very muchhhhh Moo Mouse for teaching me more English expressions.

4. moo mouse Senior Member

Paris, France
    English UK
    Any time! :)

5. just_water New Member

China
    Hi, very good question as well as answer. But I was wondering if there are other more conventional expressions for the same meaning. Can we use 'off duty', 'be off work' or others? And which one is the most used one?

cheers

6. Fenoxielo Junior Member

United States
    United States - English
    You could say "What time are you off work?" although, using "off duty" would only be used for certain professions, such as security, police, or medical professions. Still, I think you're more likely to hear "What time do you get off work?"

7. just_water New Member

China
    Thanks for quick and quality reply.

8. fenixshadow New Member

Chinese - Mainland
    Thank all of you!

9. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese

Would you say?

"What time do you get off from work?"

10. coolieinblue Senior Member

Seoul,Korea
    Korean
    I am not sure, but "What time do you get off from work today?" sounds better for me.

11. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    'What time do you get off work?' or 'What time do you finish work?' are correct, as already explained above.

12. coolieinblue Senior Member

Seoul,Korea
    Korean
    Hello Bevj. The above doesn't sound natural?

13. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    In my opinion, no. The 'from' is unnecessary.

14. coolieinblue Senior Member

Seoul,Korea
    Korean
    Bevj, thank you for your help.