Get ready to be more scared than me

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by krazi1992, Aug 6, 2014.

1. krazi1992 New Member

American English
    Hello friends,

I was wondering if you could help me translate the follow greeting card text into Ivrit. The English is below, followed by my attempt in Hebrew. The final sentence, 'get ready to be more scared THAN me' is of particular trouble, as is making sure everything is feminine (I'm a girl writing to a boy). Thank you very much!

My favourite person, happy early birthday! This is my attempt to show how much I care and that I will try to learn Hebrew. Admittedly, I need a lot more time before I can write a card like this alone though! I am so excited for the next few weeks (despite dissertation stress). I'm also so, so excited to show you my 'home' in Singapore in a couple of months. I love you! Get ready to be more scared than me this evening!

האדם האהוב עליי,

יום הולדת מוקדם שמח! זה הניסיון שלי כדי להראות עד כמה אכפת לי ושאני אנסה ללמוד עברית. בכנות אני זקוק להרבה יותר זמן לפני שאני יכולה לכתוב בכרטיס כזה לבד אבל! אני כל כך מתרגשת לשבועות הקרובים (למרות לחץ עבודה). אני גם כל כך נרגש להראות לכם "הבית" שלי בסינגפור בכמה חודשים.

אני אוהבת אותך! תתכונן להיות יותר מפחד ממני הערב!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. arielipi Senior Member

map -
    [] technical translation
    () my suggestion

האדם ה [מועדף] (אהוב) עלי, יום הולדת מוקדם שמח!
    [זה הנסיון שלי להראות עד כמה איכפת לי ושאלמד עברית]
    (זו דרכי להראות עד כמה אתה חשוב לי ושאשתדל ללמוד עברית)
    (כמובן אזדקק לעוד זמן רב עד שאוכל לכתוב מכתב כזה ללא עזרה!)
    אני כל כך נרגשת לקראת השבועות ה [באים] (קרבים) למרות לחץ בעבודה.
    אני גם כל כך, כל כך מתרגשת להראות לך את ה'בית' שלי בסינגפור בעוד כמה חודשים.
    אני אוהבת אותך!
    תתכונן ל [פחד] (היות מפוחד) יותר ממני הערב!

i wrote it in a female person to a male person.
    I also dont know when couple is few and when it means two in english (some insight on that would be welcomed fellow english ones); i took the liberty to follow you and wrote the 'few' word instead of two.
  3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    It can be hard to tell the difference. My instinct says that here you are right: כמה חודשים rather than חודשיים. If she meant חודשיים she probably would have been clearer and wrote "in two months' time".
  4. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    Just to make sure I understand : חודשיים can only mean exactly two months, or can it be used for a vague notion of a couple months ?
    Like "one minute!" doesn't literally means one minute. When you say "in two-three days", if it actually happens after 4 days, it's still ok.

In other terms, can the dual be used as a "plural of paucity" ?
  5. arielipi Senior Member

dual form is strict.
  6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I'd be pretty angry if someone said something would take 2-3 days and it ended up taking 4.
  7. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    I think it depends on who, what, when, where, and why. In some cases, you expect it to be precise, in others you don't.