get their freak on

Discussion in 'English Only' started by regal, Feb 29, 2008.

1. regal Senior Member

A girl has a boyfriend her parents hate.
    He says:
    "When her parents saw me, I thought they were about to get their freak on."

Could anyone explain what "to get one's freak on" means, please?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

It can mean a number of things.

This is American English colloquial slang, meaning "to have sex".
    Though, in this context it wouldn't work, so it makes more sense to be replaced with "freak out" (get really upset, beyond bounds of reason).

"Freak on" can also mean to dance your best.
  3. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    It can also mean to party (v.). Very often, it refers to sexual intercourse.

I'm surprised at the use of "get their freak on" as equivalent to "freak out"--meaning to become very upset. Frankly, that specific meaning is not one I was familiar with.

Sometimes, it can be used loosely to mean "to do what you want to do" or "to do things your way."
  4. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

I agree with everything you said except for this part. I've never heard it used this way.

You may feel it's used this because people "get their freak on" at dance parties,or in a club. But if someone said "See ya later, I'm gonna get my freak on".I'd 100% automatically assume "sex". It's not even really an assumption, at that.

Otherwise it means "to dance" ("wildly" - I use this because it's subjective--- people doing it may consider it normal way to dance, others may not), as I said before.
  5. regal Senior Member

Great explanations! Thanks!