Getting lazier and <stupider / stupid>

Discussion in 'English Only' started by IWantToImproveMyEnglish, May 3, 2013.

1. IWantToImproveMyEnglish Senior Member

Mandarin
    getting lazier and "stupider?" or just "stupid"?

so "getting lazier and stupid", or "getting lazier and stupider"?

<< --- Second question removed --- >>

<<< ----------- See Rule#2 ----------- >>>

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Let's see a complete sentence, IWantToImproveMyEnglish. :)

3. IWantToImproveMyEnglish Senior Member

Mandarin
    For example, "Although xxx has brought us conveniences such as xxx, xxx, and xxx, but it also make xxx getting lazier and stupider"

P.S
    - Sorry about those xxxs... I'm a student and possibly the work will be submitted into a plagiarism system to check if I have copied the work online, so this page would possibly be found.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I'm sure the XXX's don't all refer to the same thing, but it would be helpful if you were to at least instantiate the last one ('...also make xxx getting ...').

.... or find some form of anonymous alternative - we need to know its part of speech (noun, verb, pronoun, etc.) Thank you.

5. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Beryl is offering very valuable advice about why the grammar of the end of that sentence might not be completely correct. I just want to point out something semantic:

I became tired. = I was not tired before, but then I became tired.
    I became more tired. = I was somewhat tired before, but then I became even more tired than I had been.

6. IWantToImproveMyEnglish Senior Member

Mandarin
    "Although (some sort of technologies) has brought us conveniences such as xxx, xxx, and xxx, but it also make (people) getting lazier and stupider"

Should I say "getting lazier and stupid" or "getting lazier and more stupid" or "getting lazier and stupider?"

7. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I'm not happy with 'stupider' as a form, and would much prefer 'more stupid'.

You could say "getting lazier and more stupid".

Are people becoming lazier and more stupid?

If you wish to imply that they are intrinsically linked, then you could say "more lazy and stupid".

Are people becoming more lazy and stupid?, although it might be preferable to ask 'Are people becoming more stupid and lazy?

8. IWantToImproveMyEnglish Senior Member

Mandarin
    Do we actually use 'stupider' in any situation?

It seems like 'more stupid' is much preferable in any situation but wound't in mean people are somewhat "stupid" before but they are "more stupid" now?

9. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "Stupider" sounds very inappropriate for a school essay, as does "stupid," actually.
    Yes. But so would "people are becoming stupider." Both the comparative forms imply that people were stupid before.

10. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I'm not convinced by that. Consider 'It's dark, but becoming lighter.'.

11. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    That does make sense, Beryl - maybe because "lighter" means "less dark"? For whatever reason, when I hear "people are becoming stupider," and particularly when I hear "people are becoming more stupid," I really think that people are already stupid to some degree.

12. WildWest

WildWest Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    If I have to share my opinion over this, it has to be "getting lazier and more stupid". It sounds better this way, ain't it?

I also have not seen it used as "stupider", and I'm pretty sure the grammatically right usage is "more stupid".